Softball sport shorts: Firebaugh

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 3-4-1 overall and 0-1 in the West Sequoia League as of March 31. The Eagles will next play against the Fowler Redcats at 4 p.m., April 3.

EAGLES FALL TO FIREBAUGH, 11-1
FC traveled to play the Firebaugh Eagles in their seventh and final non-league game of the season, March 28.

FC led off the game with their one and only run in the first inning, answered by a Firebaugh run in their first ups. The visiting team was unable to score in the top of the second inning, giving the home team the chance to take the lead with four scored in the bottom of the inning, making the game 5-1.

Shutting the FC offense down in their ups, Firebaugh added another run to their total in both the third and fourth innings, extending their lead to six runs. After preventing the visiting team from scoring in the fifth inning, the home team put four more runs on the board, ending the game at five innings. With the addition of these scores, Firebaugh sealed their victory against FC, 11-1, and gave FC their third loss of the preseason.

Head Coach Jeff Regan was disappointed in the execution of basic plays during this game, recognizing that the team was a little scared of the opponent. Despite the loss, though, he appreciated the opportunity it provided the Eagles to see what competition in league games will be like and to prepare accordingly.

“Offensive and defensive execution were lacking,” Regan said. “This was the best team we’ve faced thus far this season and we were intimidated. This game was good preparation for the upcoming league schedule because it opened our eyes to what we will see in the near future.”

Although this result of the game was difficult to swallow, Regan knows that, in order to be successful in league, the team will have to take the loss, learn from it, and move on, preparing for the games ahead.

“Non-league is over, and league is beginning,” Regan said. “The level of competition has just jumped tremendously. The level of our focus and execution needs to be raised according to the level of our upcoming competition.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Fowler Redcats at 4 p.m., April 3.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Mar. 24 article, Softball sport shorts: Sierra.