New location adds spark to annual event (VIDEO)

As the highly anticipated Econ Fair finally arrived, students prepared to buy and sell products made by their peers in laughter and cheer. On March 26 students rushed to the FC gym to purchase a variety of different items produces by their fellow classmates.

In previous years, the Econ Fair has been held in the FC quad, but due to heavy rain, this year’s Econ Fair was held in the FC gym. Though the location was a major change, the event still ran smoothly.

Upon entering the fair one cannot help but notice, the squeaking of shoes in the gym, the eardrum shattering screams and laughs of students as they hustled from stand to stand, purchasing whatever they could, the satisfied faces of store owners after a successful sale and the aroma of crisp money circulating from person to person.

Since the purpose of Econ Fair was never explicitly explained to the student body as a whole, many only grasped that it was designed to only sell products to the students.

Tyler Breedlove, 16?, scratching his chin and looking off in the distance, formulated his own theory on what the purpose of the Econ Fair was.

“Well, I was never told exactly what Econ Fair is and what it?s about,” Breedlove said. “But I think that it?s supposed to teach students how to sell stuff to other people. I can also see how it teaches people to manage a small business too.”

Sophomore Morgan Miller greatly enjoyed the Econ Fair and looks forward to its return next year.

“I really liked this year’s Econ Fair,” Miller said. “It was a lot better then last year?s, I actually wanted to buy the stuff they were selling this time. I think they should sell more food though because they have the fair at lunch and we’re all hungry.”

Though the students enjoyed the Econ Fair, it was not without its critics. Freshman Triton Seibert showed a stoic and unfeeling expression across his face as he shared his thoughts of the fair.

“I liked the fair for the most part,” Seibert said. “But I think it could have been done much better. They should have sold more food, that?s really big to me, and it was really cramped inside of the gym. So if they could sell more food and change the location, I?d be happy.”

Econ Fair was not a closed off event, it was meant to be shared and experienced with others than just the high school students. Students from junior high were allowed to rush the through the door of the gymnasium and purchase products to their hearts’s content.

Not able to contain his glee at the prospect of earning hundreds of dollars working a stand, Austin Duffy, ’18, expressed his love at the idea of earning money after an honest day?s work.

“I really like the idea of earning money,” Duffy said. “Just look at how much money those high school students are making right now. They?re making hundreds of dollars selling food and other stuff to the students. I?d like to do that when I get older.”

Tired, but very satisfied with the money she had earned at the end of the day. Junior, Sara Peterson, recollects her experiences as one of the Econ students selling products the day of the fair.

“The Econ Fair really exhausted me towards the end,” Peterson said. “The store I worked with made dream catchers for the fair, you know, to catch your bad dreams. We sold out them, all of them. Selling all of those dream catchers was pretty tough because of all of the crowding and screaming kids, but it was so satisfying making that hard earned money at the end of the day.”

This author can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the March 25 article, BRIEF: Cheer tryouts approach, March 29.