Softball sport shorts: Caruthers

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 4-7-1 overall and 1-4 in the West Sequoia League as of April 22. The Eagles will next play against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, April 24.

EAGLES DEFEATED BY CARUTHERS, 16-2
FC hosted the Caruthers Blue Raiders in their eighth overall and first league game of the season, March 31.

Caruthers started off the game by scoring two runs in their first ups and then shutting down FC in the bottom of the inning. The second and third innings produced six and five runs, respectively, for the Blue Raiders, and they were again able to hold the Eagles scoreless, bringing the game to a score of 13-0, Caruthers.

In the fourth inning, the home team shut down the opponent and drove in a run. After allowing three runs in the Blue Raiders’ fifth at bats, Fresno Christian faced the 13-run lead held by Caruthers. Despite their efforts, the Eagles put only one more run across the board, ending the game at five innings and giving them a first league game loss with a final score of 16-2.

Despite the skill that the opponent exhibited in this game, Head Coach Jeff Regan believes that victory is possible if the Eagles take the opportunities they are given to score and to make plays and execute them as well as he knows his players can.

“Caruthers is a good hitting team,” Regan said. “They swing their bats freely. They hit the ball well against us. They also had solid defense. I believe, though, that we have an opportunity to be successful heading into every game. The ability to take advantage of that opportunity is up to the players.”

Regan noticed the intimidation Caruthers created in each of the girls, and he knows that, in order to win, the girls have got to get rid of that fear.

“We need to play without fear, as a team and as individuals,” Regan said. “A solid team, such as Caruthers, elicits fear in an opposing team. We need to play with confidence, rather than doubt. I believe we are improving daily, though, as a team and as individuals. Growth, learning, and confidence-gaining are the goals for us.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders at 4 p.m., April 24.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Mar. 30 article, Softball sport shorts: Firebaugh.