Laser pointers pose dangers, lead to felonies

Under certain circumstances, laser pointers or bright lights directed at aircrafts can be a hazard. The most common scenario is when a bright visible laser light causes a distraction or temporary flash of blindness to a pilot, which is dangerous during a critical phase of flight such as landing or takeoff.

There are a few dangers to using laser pointers outside. This is because a laser uses a concentrated beam of energy. When shined directly into the eyes it can cause disorientation and might damage the retina of the eyes. Some lasers, when shined into the eyes, can cause more damage than staring into the sun.

The dangers can be disorientation to drivers of vehicles and aircrafts, which can than lead to crashes. Another danger is an ‘outrage’. Most police officers and the general public think that laser sights are made for firearm, so they might think a weapon is being shined on them and act accordingly if they feel they are in danger.

Ted Garcia, a Fresno Police Department officer, knows of the dangers of using these low cost lasers outside, and how they affect aircrafts in flight.

“Lasers can cause disorientation to the pilot and cause him or her to become temporarily blinded,” said Garcia. “This is problematic and could cause him or her to crash the plane into an object. Lasers cause an effect similar to being blinded by head lights in a vehicle. The ‘blindness’ however can last several minutes and maybe even days depending on the strength of the laser.”

Society does not realize how these lights are endangering not only pilots but also to civilians. It is a serious offense that many are unaware of. There are 11 laser strike incidents reported in the country every day. Garcia compares the rising issue with laser pointers to cell phone usage in cars.

“I think this comes down to education,” Garcia said. “Seat belts were a huge problem 30 years ago, so there was a large educational campaign done by the Department of Transportation. Now in this generation it is cell phone usage and driving. So again there is a large campaign to reduce the number of fatalities in people who use cell phones while driving. I don’t think laser’s and pointing them at aircraft or people have become so much of a problem as to warrant the government, or local agencies, to produce an educational campaign about the dangers and consequences of such actions.”

People in the community and the country only have a minimal amount of information about the consequences for the usage of these lasers. Officer Garcia listed Penal codes concerning laser pointers.

“The different consequences vary, Penal Code 417.27(b) — No student shall possess a laser pointer on any elementary or secondary school unless it is for valid instructional purposes,” Garcia said. “Penal Code 417.27(c) — No person shall direct the beam from a laser pointer directly or indirectly into the eye or eyes of another person or into a moving vehicle with the intent to harass or annoy the other person or occupants of the vehicle.”

These penalties are known as infractions, and payment is required by law. For a first offense, one will receive a $50 ticket, and four hours of community service. A second offense is a $100 fine and eight hours of community service. Another Penal code that Officer Garcia mentioned regarded impairing the operator of an aircraft. This is a serious crime and if sentenced one can face up to one year in county jail and a fine of $1,000.

Many are unaware that the use of these lasers can be a felony crime, which is sufficient enough for one to have a term in state or federal prison. Garcia has observed many incidents where young adult have been penalized for these crimes.

“Penal Code 247.5 If you maliciously discharge a laser at an aircraft whether in motion or in flight while occupied is a felony crime,” Garcia said. “You can face up to three years in prison and a fine of $2000. I recently saw on the news where a person who was on parole shined a laser at an aircraft. He was sentenced to 13 years in prison. This was probably due to his prior arrest record and possibly a prior conviction for the same charge.”

Other consequences include killing someone because a laser was shined into the eye of a pilot or someone driving a car, and causing them to crash. Other scenarios include causing permanent damage to the eye, which in of itself is a felony crime.

Officer Garcia has experienced having to deal with these attacks first hand, and most of the civilians charged with the attack are young adults.

“It has been my experience as a police officer I would say 16 to 21 year olds are most commonly behind this offense,” Garcia said. “I have arrested and assisted in the arrest of several subjects who have shined laser’s at our police helicopter. They have all fallen into the 16 to 21 year old range.”

Junior Jason Swain is a proud owner of his own laser pointer. When used wisely, Swain does not consider pointers a huge danger.

“I don’t think its a big deal if they are being used,” Swain said. “It’s not a large light so I don’t understand how it could cause a major incident, but I’ll be more careful, when using it now that I know the consequences.”

Garcia believes that the best way to stop laser pointer incidents is to warn the community about them, since many simply do not know that they are dangerous.

“I would suggest something similar in how your school deals with texting and driving,” Garcia said “Start educational seminars in the middle school to high school range. There are a number of websites out there that talk about the dangers of lasers and aircrafts. Have someone come and speak to your class about the dangers of pointing a laser at people, aircrafts, and vehicles. Maybe a brochure that explains the dangers and consequences of a laser.”

Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth uses a laser to present things to her classes, and knows about the dangers of using them.

“I have heard of certain incidents where people have used laser pointers, and have caused accidents not only to airplanes but to professional soccer players,” Foth said. “People point lasers at their faces to temporarily blind them.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Ivettedibarra. Follow the Feather via Twitter: @TheFeather.

For more features, read the April 23 article, Annual Sadies gains interest: Join the Discussion