Mennonite Central Committee fundraises with annual event

In order to gather the funds necessary for their service projects, the Mennonite Central Committee in Fresno hosted the annual West Coast Mennonite Relief Sales and Auction at Fresno Pacific University, April 5-6.

People of all ethnic groups and backgrounds came far and wide in support of the relief sales and auction. Volunteers helped in producing traditional Mennonite food, hand-sewn quilts and other merchandise to raise money for the relief of those in pain and peace around the world.

Ken Cleyward explains why he enjoys the annual West Coast Mennonite Relief Sales and Auction.

“Well I?ve been Mennonite my whole life, so I?m naturally going to like coming to this event,” Cleyward said. “But this is also a great opportunity to reconnect with friends I haven?t seen in awhile, to enjoy the delicious food, and to help pay for service projects around the world.”

Sam Heinricks, a senior in high school, showed less interest in the event then the older generation.

“It?s ok, I guess,” Heinricks said. “The reason why I am here is because my parents are volunteering, but everything here is for a good cause. I guess my favorite part about this whole thing is the auction because they auction off some really cool, old, antique cars and vehicles.”

Harold Voshage, a senior member in the Mennonite church, explains the purpose of the relief sale and what the money is used for.

“Well all the money that?s made here today goes to the Mennonite Central Committee?s service projects,” Voshage said. “The service projects go towards helping people around the world. We have financial aid, disaster relief and education for people all over the world.”

Angela Mannino, a volunteer at the Mennonite Relief Sales, shares some of the crowd?s favorite meals and treats.

“We have a lot of delicious food options here at the relief sales,” Mannino said. “We have fritters, burritos, ice cream, funnel cakes and the delicious sweet bread known as Zwiebach. You can buy all of these food items with tickets we sell at counters, each ticket is $1 each.”

One of the must have lunch meals is the famed ?Verenika?. John Alheimer helped to cook the famed dish for the relief sale and explains what Verenika is.

“Verenika is a crepe stuffed with a farmers cheese,” Alheimer said. “It also has a sour cream gravy served over the top with it and can be served with either German sausage or salad. The Verenika takes a very long time to be made, it?s all hand made and takes a lot of man power, just depends on how much you are making and how many hands are available.”

Former campus principal, Pat Unruh, has decided to put her administrative abilities to work by helping the MCC gain new recruits.

“I?ve been a Mennonite my entire life, so I?m pretty passionate about the Mennonite Central Committee,” Unruh said. “When I was asked to help recruit people for the Zwiebach booth I thought it was a way I could express my passion in a very tangible way. It?s the organization that made we want to get involved.”

The annual West Coast Mennonite Relief Sales and Auction offers a unique opportunity for those in the community to experience a glimpse Mennonite culture and taste traditional Mennonite cuisine. People who attend will also indirectly help others in need with the purchases they make, as all money made that day will go to help fund the Mennonite Central Committee?s service projects around the world.

To better understand to who, and where the money is going, the MCC released a mission statement with their purpose and vision.

“Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, shares God’s love and compassion for all in the name of Christ by responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. MCC envisions communities worldwide in right relationship with God, one another and creation.”

Should you have an interest in Mennonite culture, or desire taste Mennonite cuisine, or want to help fund relief projects around the world, make sure to visit the festivities next year.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the April 8 article, Students feel pressure, nerves due to AP exams.