Mothers honored on special day

With crayons, little pieces of paper and glue all over the table, kids made cards and art for their mothers on their special day. While some students still make homemade creations others turn to store bought gifts with money they have saved throughout the year.

“My mom does a lot for me and my brother and mothers day is just another day where I can tell her how much I love and appreciate her,” Carina Morran, ’05, said. “I gave her hugs and kisses and gave her pictures while I was in art.”

Mothers have been honored for centuries. Julia Ward Howe first introduced Mother’s Day to California in 1872. Every year Howe held Mother’s Day meetings in Boston, Massachusetts. In the 1600s Greeks celebrated Rhea, the Mother of the gods. On the fourth Sunday of lent, England commemorated mothers in a day called Mothering Sunday (www.holidays.net/mother/story.html).

Today kids often focus on showing their appreciation through homemade gifts or they may take the time to find just the right gift.

“I just love my mom she has blessed me all of my life and it is the least I could is honor and respect her,” Nick Carrera, ’05, said. “Last year I got my mom a necklace that had mom embossed on it.”

Some students made breakfast for their moms while others took their mothers out to their favorite restaurant. Morgan Rigby, ’04, took her mom last year to their cabin in the mountains.

“We took my mom last year to our cabin in the mountains for Mothers Day,” Rigby said. “This year my sister and I took our mom out to her favorite Italian restaurant.”

Several students refer to the fourth commandment, found in the book of Exodus written by Moses, when respecting their parents: “Honor your father and mother.” (Exodus 20:12)

“When I was younger I would look for the most amazing present for my mom,” Hannah Page, ’03, said. “Now I just wake up early and make her the best breakfast ever and she loves it. I think that’s one way of honoring my mom, and that’s what God wants us to do.”