Coast coverage: Day 1

The Feather staff arrived at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront around 1:15pm. The staff of nine students with adviser Greg Stobbe and chaperone Angie Fries, carpooled to the city, April 9.

With the group arriving on a Wednesday afternoon, the students had the chance to relax and unwind before the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and the Journalism Education Association (JEA) spring conference. Senior Editor Viviana Hinojosa, Editor-in- Chief Tynin Fries, ’14, and Multimedia Anchor Callista Fries, ’15, will be presenting workshops on how to produce podcasts and how to survive in cyberspace.

Though students woke up in the early morning to depart Fresno at 6:30 a.m., most left with smiles on their faces in anticipation for the cool weather and lovely San Diego beaches. But before they could depart for the beaches of San Diego, the boys attending the trip unintentionally destroyed the trunk of Stobbe’s vehicle loading luggage into the back.

Eventually arriving at San Diego, the group soon dropped their luggage off in one of the hotel rooms and took the streets in search of food. Students finally settled on The Old Spaghetti Factory and enjoyed classic Italian cuisine.

With their hunger sated, the group decided to take to the hotel’s outdoor pool to enjoy the warm sun and the cool breeze. Students had the choice to lay out and soak in the UV rays, wade in the warm pool or to relax in one of two hot tubs.

After hours of relaxation at the pool, students decided it was time for dinner. Deciding on Mexican food, the group walked the streets and ventured to La Fiesta for fine Mexican cuisine within the gas lamp district.

Finally, students wrapped up the night by walking down 5th Avenue and purchasing miscellaneous goods they set their eyes on and then traveled back to the hotel at 9:30 p.m.

Check back for a daily account of the groups activities during the trip or follow the staff’s adventures via Twitter and Instagram through the hashtag: #CoastCoverage.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the April 7 article, BRIEF: Spring sport pictures held in FC gym, April 8.