Softball sport shorts: Parlier

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 4-7-1 overall and 1-4 in the West Sequoia League as of April 22. The Eagles will next play against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, April 24.

EAGLES TRUMP PARLIER, 13-4
FC traveled to play the Parlier Panthers in their eleventh overall and fourth league game of the season, April 10.

The Eagles kicked off the game with one run in the first inning, holding the Panthers scoreless in their ups. The second inning produced one run for each team, but FC increased their lead in the third, scoring nine runs and preventing Parlier from answering. For the first time in the game, the home team held the Eagles scoreless in the fourth inning, and managed to add one run to their score, bringing the score to 11-2.

Both teams put one run across in the fifth inning, keeping it a nine-run game, and in the sixth inning, Parlier again prevented FC from scoring and decreased their lead by one run. In the seventh inning, the visiting team put one more run on the board, shutting down the Panther offense in their final ups, securing for the Eagles their first league win of the season with a score of 13-4 and ending a five-game losing streak.

Head Coach Jeff Regan was encouraged by the performance of the team during this game, as both defense and offense were executing the plays and doing their jobs more consistently.

“We are gaining experience,” Regan said. “Players are growing, learning, and gaining confidence. Players are playing without fear, relying on their abilities and what they’ve been taught. My prayer is that the players will see the gains that they are making and build on them.”

Regan believes that each of the players have improved much, but he knows that in order to defeat the teams coming up in the Eagles’ schedule, they will need to continue this improvement, as the next few games will be tough.

“Tremendous encouragement can be gained as a result of this game,” Regan said. “However, we need to never be satisfied. There is always room for improvement, always areas to be fine-tuned. We need to build on a successful game such as this one.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders at 4 p.m., April 24.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Apr. 23 article, Softball sport shorts: Minarets.