Softball sport shorts: Riverdale

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 4-7-1 overall and 1-4 in the West Sequoia League as of April 22. The Eagles will next play against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, April 24.

EAGLES FALL TO RIVERDALE, 10-0
FC traveled to play the Riverdale Cowgirls in their twelfth overall and fifth league game of the season, April 22.

The first inning remained scoreless for both teams, but in the second inning, after preventing Fresno Christian from scoring, the Cowgirls managed to put one run on the board. The Eagles again were unable to score in their next ups and allowed Riverdale to add two more runs to their total, bringing the game to 3-0, Cowgirls, at the end of the third inning.

After the visiting team once again failed to put any runs across, the home team drove the nail in the coffin by scoring seven runs in their fourth ups. This productive half-inning, followed by a shut-out FC at bat, secured the Cowgirls’ win and ended the game at a score of 10-0, according to the ten-run rule, in the top of the fifth inning, giving the Eagles their fourth league loss and seventh overall loss.

Assistant coach Matt Weimer was pleased with the girls’ performance at the beginning of the game, as they came out strong against the top team in the league. However, toward the end of the game the Eagles began to lose focus, make errors, become discouraged and roll over,

“We played a really solid first three innings,” Weimer said. “We swung the bat against a strong pitcher. We needed a few more hits and a few less errors.”

Weimer believes that failing to execute the basic routine plays was what killed FC, especially during the Cowgirls’ fourth at bats. In that one inning, the Eagles made nine errors, giving Riverdale many more opportunities than they earned to score the seven runs they put across. He is hopeful, though, that if the girls continue to be aggressive at the plate, they will see those at bats turn into hits and eventually runs.

“We need to take the opportunities that are handed to us and get outs,” Weimer said. “Balls that are hit to girls need to be turned into outs. We need to continue to swing the bat and have the courage to swing the bat, to put the ball in play, to grow at the plate. Good things happen when you swing the bat.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders at 4 p.m., April 24.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Apr. 23 article, Softball sport shorts: Parlier.