Seventh grade embarks on annual trip, May 1

For the past 13 years, junior high science and Bible teacher, Terry Richards has been coordinating a 7th grade educational field trip to Los Angeles (LA), CA. Students will travel to LA, May 1-May 3.

Richards has been planning lunch meetings with the 7th graders regarding the basics of the trip, what to bring, what not to bring and behavioral rules.

“My purpose of this trip is for them {7th graders} to get along with each other,” Richards said. “I also want them experience things Fresno doesn’t provide.”

Richards will be taking the students to the LA Zoo, Medieval Times, roller skating at Skate Express, the Natural History Museum, Science Center, Griffith Observatory and Forest Lawn Cemetery. He is expecting this trip to be educational rather than entertaining.

“My hope that the students will remember a part of what they learned and they will advance into 8th grade, high school and so forth,” Richards said. “I think it works because I’ve experienced other high schoolers telling me.”

Emily Cox, ’19, is mostly excited for this trip. She expects it to be an educational trip but anticipates some entertainment.

“I’m excited to go to different places,” Cox said. “I’m mostly looking forward to going to Medieval Times because I want to see what kind of show they put on to explain how life was in the Medieval Era.”

Seventh grader, Sebastian Rodriguez looks forward to looking at the koalas at the LA Zoo. He has also done a project about koalas to learn more about these mammals.

“I really think that koalas are very fascinating creatures, so I’m expecting a good time mostly at the zoo,” Rodriguez said. “However, I am looking forward to having a good trip with my friends and learning new things.”

Devin Pitts, ’18, reminisces the joys of this trip. He though that his favorite part of the trip saws going to Griffith Observatory.

“I enjoyed going to the observatory because I’ve learned so much about astronomy that I haven’t learned, like knowing about other galaxies,” Pitts said. “An advice I would like to give to the seventh graders would be to take as much notes as possible because it will affect you in the long-run.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017. Follow The Feather onTwitter @thefeather

For more news, read the April 25 article Spanish Club creates Easter baskets for local church.