Softball sport shorts: Caruthers

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 5-9-1 overall and 2-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 1. The Eagles will next play against the Parlier Panthers, May 5.

FC TRUMPS CARUTHERS, 6-2
FC traveled to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders in their thirteenth overall and sixth league game of the season, April 24.

Although neither team scored in the first inning, FC put two runs on the board during their second ups. The home team answered with a run of their own and held the Eagles scoreless in the top of the third. The Blue Raiders tied up the game in their third ups with another run added to their total.

The game remained at a score of 2-2 for the next three innings, but in the top of the seventh inning, the visiting team put four runs across. Shutting down Caruthers in their final ups, FC secured their second league and fifth overall victory, breaking a losing streak against the Blue Raiders lasting years.

Assistant coach Vic Breedlove was pleased with the team’s efforts and composure through the whole competition, even when the game was tight and the Eagles were under pressure.

“We hit the ball in clutch situations and strung hits together in the last inning to give us the lead by four,” Breedlove said. “Jenna pitched amazingly, the defense played strong and we hit the ball with confidence.”

Sophomore second baseman Maddie Luginbill was excited not only to have beaten Caruthers, but also because her team showed more mental toughness than ever before.

“I think that we really went in with a great mindset and had confidence in ourselves,” Luginbill said. “When things got tough in the game we were able to regroup and stay composed. It was really good for our team to be able to have a victory against a team that is a division above us because it shows not just everyone else but also ourselves that we are capable of beating a quality opponent.”

Luginbill is pleased with the progress the team has made not only in skill, but also in unity, composure and heart.

“We have come a long way since the beginning,” Luginbill said. “Our team has a really strong bond with each other which makes it a lot easier to play as one, not just for ourselves but to do well for the team because of how hard we have all worked to succeed this season.”

The Eagles will next host the Parlier Panthers at 4 p.m., May 5.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Apr. 24 article, Softball sport shorts: Riverdale.