Softball sport shorts: Fowler

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 5-9-1 overall and 2-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 1. The Eagles will next play against the Parlier Panthers, May 5.

FC FALLS TO FOWLER, 11-8
FC hosted the Fowler Redcats in their fourteenth overall and seventh league game of the season, April 28.

Shutting down the Fowler offense in the top of the first inning, FC kicked off the game with one run on the board in their first ups. Although the second inning remained scoreless, the visiting team tied the game up during the third inning and prevented the Eagles from answering.

The home team took the lead in the fourth inning by putting one run across, but in the next inning the Redcats tied the score again. The sixth inning yielded three runs for Fowler, but the home team was able to add three runs to their total, forcing the game into extra innings and bringing the score to 5-5 at the end of the seven innings of regulation.

Neither team was able to score in the eighth inning, but Fowler put three on the board in the top of the ninth, answered by three runs from the Eagles. As the tenth inning produced no runs for either team, the game continued into the eleventh inning, during which the visiting team took the lead by three runs. As FC was unable to answer, the Redcats emerged victorious in the Eagles’ second eleven inning game and fifth league loss for the 2013-14 season.

Head Coach Jeff Regan appreciated the intensity and concentration the team exhibited in this game, especially during the extra innings.

“The team played with confidence, desire and focus for the majority of the 11 innings, and displayed the belief that they can play with a Division 4 team,” Regan said. “They need to be able to finish the game on a positive note, for example, driving in the winning run. The team needs to come out victorious in these close games.”

With the playoff seeding meeting on Saturday and playoffs beginning a week from this Wednesday, Regan knows the team will have to work hard this week and keep improving steadily, but he has full confidence that success in post-league play is possible for the Eagles.

“At this point, I believe the team has earned the opportunity to enter the Division 6 playoffs,” Regan said. “With two games this week, we’ll see how the focus, effort and desire are. I believe this team can be successful, and the team must have the same belief.”

The Eagles will next host the Parlier Panthers at 4 p.m., May 5.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the May 5 article, Softball sport shorts: Caruthers.