Prayer, celebration crowns year-end Convocation

UPDATE: May 14.
While this article was written before the convocation, there is a video embedded below covering the morning of the convocation.

FC will be gathered as a community, for the end of the year convocation for the third year in a row. The assembly will be held in the Peoples Church main sanctuary from 8-8:30 a.m., May 1. The whole school will be united, grades K-12, for a time of worship and devotion.

At 8 a.m. Superintendent Debbie Siebert will welcome and open the ceremony with prayer. Before the worship team leads the school in a time of worship, a video showcasing the year’s theme will be played.

After the theme Bible verse is read, Siebert will give an invocation speech and a group of student representatives will lead a time of prayer, covering various areas of the school, including thanksgiving, leaders, school ministry in the community and individual growth in Christ.

The end of the year convocation is an opportunity for students and administration to reflect on the year.

Junior Ashley Garcia enjoys the assembly, for it provides fellowship through the class.

“I like convocation because it allows the classes to unify for one last time through worship, and reminiscing on the year,” Garcia said. “I’m really looking forward to it. I also like it because it reminds me that school is almost over.”

Siebert looks forward to continuing the tradition, with it being her last convocation. Siebert hopes to inspire the FC community and remind them of the Lords love.

“I am hoping this convocation will remind all of us how much we are loved,” Siebert said. “That it inspires us to pass that gift on to the others God puts in our life.”

Siebert enjoys most the sense of unity that covers the school through this event.

“My favorite part is all of us together in one place, with one heart, focused on one purpose,” Siebert said. “It is an awe inspiring event. I love looking out over the crowd and seeing all the faces reflecting God’s personal love.”

FC has had the privilege of doing things as a community that isn’t found in most schools and it is important to be thankful.

“We have the privilege to come together as a school community to remember what the Lord has done for us, in us, and through us,” Siebert said. “It is important to remember and it is important to say, “Thank you!” Too often we take the abundance of God’s blessing for granted and this gathering gives us an intentional moment to come together as a family and acknowledge all that we have comes from God’s gracious, loving, and generous hand.”

The National Day of Prayer is the first thursday in May. This year’s theme nationwide is “One voice. United in Prayer.” Locally Fresno City Hall will observe the event at Fresno and “P” streets, beginning at 6 p.m. Clovis City Hall will host a noon prayer at 1033 Fifth Street. There will be speakers at each event. Call 559.291.9199 for Clovis information and 559.250.5475 for the Fresno event.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ivettedibarra. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the April 25 Spanish Club creates Easter baskets for local church article.