Sophomore gains baseball skill, report

Since Fresno Christian has began its collaborations with Tower Christian School, it has given many students in non traditional school settings the opportunity to participate in sports.

Now many of these athletic students are beginning to broaden their horizons, and take on multiple sports. One of these students is sophomore, Caleb Goodale.

Goodale has participated on the boys varsity soccer team at FC for both his freshman and sophomore seasons. He now has decided that he wishes to play baseball.

Goodale explained what it was exactly that made him decide that he wanted to play baseball.

“When I found out that a few other students were going to play, I thought it would be a pretty cool experience,” Goodale said. “I have played in the past, but I have never been as serious with it as soccer. Once soccer ended, I figured I might as well keep myself active, so I joined the team.”

Goodale played baseball when he was younger, but took a year off once he went into high school. Now that FC is allowing the Tower Christian students play on its sports teams, Caleb can play again.

Goodale elaborated on his baseball career and how he got started with it, in his younger years.

“I first played baseball when I was eight or so,” Goodale said. “I played for the People’s Church club team. I had some friends that attended People’s Church and they told me about the team.”

With so many aspects to the game of baseball, there are many things to love about the game. Goodale shared some of the things that he likes about baseball.

“I love the thrill of stepping up to the plate and challenging the pitcher,” Goodale said. “I also love the satisfaction you get from catching a fly ball. Baseball is great, because it is both a team sport and an individual sport at the same time.”

Goodale has acquired many new friends this year since joining baseball. Sophomore, Tyler Sellers, described his experience this year so far with Goodale.

“Caleb is a great kid,” Sellers said. “He makes practice and just the experience of being on the team, more fun. I have really enjoyed getting to know through baseball.”

With the season already coming to an end soon, there have been many opportunities for Goodale to shine. He shared what he thought was his highlight moment this season.

“My highlight moment this year is when I made a sliding catch in practice,” Goodale said. “It is also pretty exciting stealing the bases. It always a highlight when I get to steal a base.”

After seeing how it is playing multiple sports, Caleb explained his plans for next year.

“I usually run track, so I’m not sure if I’m going to play baseball or track next year,” Goodale said. “I am definitely going to play soccer, because that is my main sport. I also plan on playing football next year. A lot of the other homeschoolers play football so that will be awesome.”

For more information, see April 29 article, Baseball prepares for league rivals