Food, entertainment adds lively atmosphere to Cinco de Mayo

In the Hispanic culture, Cinco de Mayo, is a very important day. It signifies the perseverance of the Mexican army in the Battle of Puebla. Feeling that it is important to honor the holiday, FC goes all out on Cinco de Mayo.

This year, FC’s Spanish Club and California Scholarship Federation (CSF) got together and held the annual Cinco De Mayo lunch in the quad. As usual, it featured a build-your-own-burrito lunch, a mariachi band and dancing. Along with the mariachi, senior Natalie Ruiz also sang two songs with the group while dressed in a more traditional outfit to go along with the holiday.

Having connections to Mariachi Tenochtitlan, Spanish teacher, Beatriz Foth, organizdes the whole event every year. She explained why she enjoys doing it for the students.

“I enjoy it because it is fun to have a chance to see the live performance of a mariachi band on campus,” Foth said. “I love to see students participate in this event in this event, especially those with a hispanic heritage. To me, as a Spanish teacher, it is an excellent way of teaching this particular cultural area of the curriculum.”

Many parents got together to assemble a build-your-own-burrito bar for the students. Senior, Noah Belmont enjoyed the meal served at lunch and thought the price was fair for the amount of food.

“My burrito was really good,” Belmont said. “I piled on Mexican rice, beans, beef, nacho cheese and salsa. It was pretty reasonable price too considering you got a burrito, nachos and a drink for six bucks.”

The mariachi band really brought an upbeat atmosphere to the quad. Their presence allowed some of the bystanders to get into the groove. Freshman, Nevin Gonzalez was enthused by the music and danced in front of the crowd.

Cinco De Mayo is especially unique at FC because of the Mariachis. Jesus Galicia of Mariachi Tenochtitlan, spoke about how the event went.

“I asked a student at Fresno Christian what they thought Cinco De Mayo was and they said it was when the Mexicans beat the French,” Galicia said. “We played many typical Foclorico-American songs. We like to play for the school to show how important Cinco De Mayo is to the Mexican culture.”

“I got to dance a lot,” Gonzalez said. “I liked the mariachi music, it was fun. I danced with Stobbe in front of everyone.”

Hannah Avila, ’14, enjoyed her last Cinco de Mayo as she will be graduating in a couple weeks. Experiencing the event every year, she felt that this one was the most exciting. She was entertained by the lively music and dancing.

“I thought my last Cinco de Mayo was the best,” Avila said. “It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves. The food was also really good. I appreciate that CSF and Spanish Club host this event and make it exciting.”

To reach Mariachi Tenochtitlan, contact Jesus Galicia at (559) 266-8366

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @NhojNamood. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the May 6 article, Discovery Kingdom proves ultimate Sadies location.