Softball sport shorts: Minarets

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 5-9-1 overall and 2-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 1. The Eagles will next play against the Parlier Panthers, May 5.

MUSTANGS DEFEAT EAGLES, 2-1
FC traveled to play the Minarets Mustangs in their fifteenth overall and eighth league game of the season, May 1.

For the first three innings, the game remained scoreless for both teams, but in the fourth inning, the Eagles put one run across. In their fourth ups, Minarets answered with a run of their own, tying up the game, 1-1. After preventing FC from scoring in the top of the fifth, the Mustangs took the lead, adding one more run to their total.

The visiting team was unable to score in the sixth inning, but shut down their opponent in the bottom of the inning, hoping to score in their last ups. As the Eagles failed to earn another run, the game ended and Minarets emerged victorious, giving Fresno Christian their sixth league loss for the 2013-14 season.

Returning shortstop Gaby Siqueiros, ’15, anticipated a tight game against the Mustangs, based on the results of the two teams’ previous battle, an 11-inning game which Minarets won 4-2.

“I knew it would be tough but we are evenly matched,” Siquieros said. “We played pretty good defense, but they also had a solid defense and we kept hitting right to all their players.”

As the team winds down the season and gears up for playoffs, Siquieros knows that, in order to be successful in post-league play, the Eagles will need to clean up the defensive job and take advantage of their opportunities up at bat.

“We need to work on hitting the open spots on the field and making less errors all around,” Siquieros said. “Playoffs should be interesting. I have no idea how we’re going to do or what our team is going to look like.”

The Eagles will next host the Parlier Panthers at 4 p.m., May 5.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the May 5 article, Softball sport shorts: Fowler.