Softball sport shorts: Parlier

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 6-9-1 overall and 3-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 5. The Eagles will next play against the Riverdale Cowgirls, May 8.

EAGLES POUND PANTHERS, 14-3
FC hosted the Parlier Panthers in their sixteenth overall and ninth league game of the season, May 5.

The Panthers kicked off the game with a run, answered by a score from FC. The second inning proved scoreless for both teams, but in their third ups, the visiting team added another run to their score, taking the lead until the Eagles put three runs on the board, making it a 4-2 game.

Although players, coaches and spectators anticipated a tight game as a result of the first couple of innings, the home team soon pulled ahead of Parlier, allowing one run in the top of the fourth inning but scoring four of their own in their ups. Shutting down the Panther offense and scoring six runs in the fifth inning, FC sealed the deal, securing their first home and third league win for the season.

Assistant coach Matt Weimer was excited about the win, but perhaps even more excited about the individual improvements he saw in many of the players which contributed to the outcome of the game.

“The girls who we count on to produce runs made the most of their at bats and drove in the runners who got on base for them,” Weimer said. “It was so fun watching Gaby come through in clutch situations. Maddie let go of fear, embraced her opportunities, and let herself do what her gut told her to do both in the field and at the plate, and our pitcher gave us a solid outing using just 61 pitches to retire 15 Panthers.”

Weimer was pleased with the overall performance of the girls, but he did notice a few things that the team needs to work on as they head into their last season game.

“The biggest thing that we need to work on is pitch selection,” Weimer said. “We need to choose to watch balls and hit strikes. It’s a simple game.”

The Eagles will next host the Riverdale Cowgirls at 4 p.m., May 8.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the May 8 article, Softball sport shorts: Minarets.