Spring Sports Banquet, May 12

Update:

At the Spring Sports Awards, three people were specifically nominated during the ceremony. Junior high cheer coach Hope Villines was nominated coach of the year and seniors Tyler Laird and Annalise Rosik were nominated athletes of the year.

Tyler Laird, ’14, male athlete of the year, was surprised to receive his award.

“I was surprised because I was in two sports in each of my high school years,” Laird said. “I would like to thank my parents, coaches and teammates for helping me improve.”

Athletic director Mick Fuller commends Laid for being the prime example for what an FC athlete should be.

“Tyler is the kind of student athlete that makes being a coach and athletic director worthwhile,” Fuller said. “He strives to honor Christ, he encourages his teammates, he gives his best effort every day.

Female Athlete of year, Annalise Rosik, ’14, feels honored to be awarded for her time and effort she has put into her athletics.

“I’m really honored to get this award, I’ve worked really hard for the past four years and it’s nice to be recognized with this,” Rosik said. “I’ve done track for three years and soccer for four and I’ve thought about playing soccer in college, but it’s a huge time commitment and I just decided I wanted to dedicate that time towards other things. I’m grateful for Mr. {Robert} Foshee for believing in me as an athlete and all the support and time my parents have spent at countless games and track meets.”

Fuller recognizes the hard work and immense hours Rosik has out in throughout her high school career.

“Analise is a competitor. She pushes herself to achieve and challenges those around her to do the same,” Fuller said. ” She is an exemplary student athlete and strives to glorify God with the talents He has given her.”

Hope Villines, who won coach of the year, was astonished to find out she won an award. Since it was her first year coaching at FC, she loved coaching to her students.

“I am honored, humbled and blessed to receive this award, especially for being my first year coaching at FC,” Villines said. “I love coaching at FC and it’s nice to be able to talk to the Lord with the teams and to be able to pray for them and do devotions. Next year, some things I would like to improve would be to have my teamwork harder, be stronger and be better.”

Although Villines has various other tasks to complete, Fuller finds FC grateful to work with her.

“Hope is the kind of person who prayerfully hears God?s call on her and embraces the opportunities He gives to serve,” Fuller said. “She does it with passion and flair. She motivates her athletes to achieve and perform at a high level.”

The Spring Sports Awards Banquet will be held, May 12 at 7 p.m. All spring sports teams will be recognized along with awarding individual players in the Student Ministries Center (Ground Zero).

Athletic Director, Mick Fuller looks forward to an upbeat evening. He is excited to recognizing each of the teams and how much effort they put onto their sportsmanship.

“The purpose of the Sports Award Banquets is to have an opportunity to recognize and honor the spring sports athletes and dedication to their sports and team achievements,” Fuller said. “We will be recognizing the track and field, tennis, baseball, softball, and golf teams.”

Some students have never experienced sports before, including Hye Min Lee, ’16.

“This is my first time playing softball since I moved to America,” Lee said. “Since we don’t play sports in Korea, I wasn’t really an experienced player, but I feel like I’m involved when I moved to America.”

One of the baseball students, Tyler Sellers, ’16, is looking forward for a celebration and the baseball recognition.

“I’m looking forward to celebrating a great season,” Sellers said. “Since we’re being recognized to go to the playoffs, I’m expecting to go the whole way. We’re trying to focus on beating our opponents and moving up, even to the championship.”

In other news:

Sports physicals will be scheduled for mid-July. A notice will go out to all junior high and high school families when the date, time and location are finalized.

High school sports teams practicing during the summer will have their summer schedules ready in the next week or two. These will be sent to families of students who have expressed interest in participating in those sports.

Occasional sports updates will be sent throughout the summer. Check your email regularly to find out about upcoming events and sport related information.

High school football players will be meeting Monday, May 12 at 3:15 p.m. in Music Suite for all 8th-11th grade boys interested in playing football next year. High school Spring Sports Awards Dessert at 7 p.m. at Student Ministries Center (Ground Zero).

For more news articles, read May 12 article, BREAKING: Students earn ACSI awards

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017. Follow the Feather on Twitter @thefeather.