COLUMN: Time for action

journo
[/media-credit] Junior, Rees Roggenstein, urges students to enjoy their school year and speaks to his fulfillment at The Feather Online.

I have been attending FC my whole life, ever since kindergarten. That makes me a “lifer”, but I had been ashamed of that since sixth grade up to my sophomore year in high school.

This school always had amazing teachers; students, and faculty, but I felt like it was missing something. This great, amazing experience that I should enjoy was missing something vital. Then I found this mysterious missing piece when I joined The Feather my sophomore year.

It sounds silly, but that class opened doors to worlds I could have never opened all by myself, I saw the school with a new and refreshed perspective. The places I visited, the people I met, the things I learned enriched my experience to an unreal level. The Feather taught me more than journalism; it taught initiative, perspective and what success should look like.

When my sophomore year ended I was finally satisfied with this school; I could graduate fulfilled and unashamed. Now the school is changing, evolving into something greater than what it was. With the school transforming it brings new experiences, new relationships, new perspectives. I cannot wait to see what the school will bring now, and I plan to savor every new experience.

The question is, will we change with the school? Now everything in this world has its faults, including our campus. With that in mind, we have two options: sit down and complain about every fault, like a child, or work to make the best of what we have and improve it.

I am no better than anybody else; I have complained and whined (like we all have), and not just about the school! But I have learned that if we are not going to do anything about it then we should just keep our mouths shut. What good is it to just complain? Sure things are not great, sure things did not go the way they were planned, but just sitting there and complaining accomplishes nothing. The problem is not seeing the faults in something, the problem is sitting down and doing nothing to change it.

So as school begins new experiences are just on the horizon, waiting to be felt. I encourage us all to take part in it, to be a part of something new. Let us enjoy the good, learn from the bad, and then put it towards something of value. No more sitting around, it is time for action.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather,  Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For other opinions, read Aug. 20 article EDITORIAL: Leave a mark.