Girls tennis returns after years of absence

[/media-credit] The girl’s team is made up of six players. The top four players on the tennis play singles, and fifth and sixth play doubles.

With the absence of the girls tennis team for the past few years, girls were either forced to abstain from the sport altogether or play on the boy’s team in the spring.

The girl’s team is made up of six players. The top four players on the tennis play singles, and fifth and sixth play doubles. Their first game took place at FC against Coalinga, Aug, 28. They lost the match as a whole losing both singles and doubles.

Being able to bring back tennis provides our students with more athletic and competitive opportunities then they’ve had in the last few years. It gives come girls a chance to play a sport they haven’t played before and have new experiences. It broadens the scope of what we are able to provide our students as a school.–Mick Fuller, Co-athletic Director

The Lady Eagles are scheduled to play their next game against the Caruthers Blue Raiders at home, Sept. 2. And will play against Avenal at home as well, Sept. 4.

Sophomore Karagin Udall played junior high tennis and has kept up her skills through various camps and is excited to be a member of the new tennis team.

“I’ve been playing tennis for about three years, I started at FC in the seventh grade and just went to different camps to keep me in the sport,” Udall said. “I was really excited that we got a tennis team this year because I know last year was a bummer that we didn’t have one.”

Athletic Director Michael Fuller looks forward to the wider variety of athletics that girl’s tennis will provide.

“Being able to bring back tennis provides our students with more athletic and competitive opportunities then they’ve had in the last few years,” Fuller said. “It gives come girls a chance to play a sport they haven’t played before and have new experiences. It broadens the scope of what we are able to provide our students as a school.”

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.

For more sports, read the Aug.28, Volleyball sport shorts: Immanuel.