Picture day leads to freshman anxiety

[/media-credit] Students line up to begin taking their pictures from Milne Photography during picture day.

The horrors of picture day are a distant memory. Student anxieties included forgetting to wear picture worthy clothes, blemishes or zits, disheveled hair, shirts not being centered, food in their teeth, stained clothes and more.

Campus freshman all have different fashion styles, and noticeably show them off during their first high school pictures.

Student Stephen Walters, ’18, explains his own fashion preferences.

“I like to wear something nice and clean,” Walters said. “Such as tan cargo pants and a v-neck t-shirt.”

Some students like to dress their best, like Walters. On the other hand, some students prefer to dress casually such as Tyler Villines, ’18.

“On picture day, I wear something simple,” Villines said. “I like to wear a collared shirt, which is nice, but also pretty casual. I also like to wear casual shorts and regular shoes and socks. It?s not really a big deal because I?m just wearing natural stuff that?s both comfortable on me and looks good too.”

Carlee Whipple, ’18, likes to wear nice clothes, just as Walters did.

“I like wearing fashionable clothes,” Whipple said. “I like to have my hair curled, and a loose shirt. Overall, I like to dress nicely.”

Many freshman seem confident with what they wear to picture day, but freshmen face their biggest fears when going into high school. A school wide freshmen poll asked students to check each box that applied to the fears they had for the new year. The results are as follows.

Upperclassmen with seven, getting trampled in the hallways with seven, fitting in/acceptance with 12, new classes/ schedule with 12, higher expectations from authority with 20, failing grades with 28, not making friends with seven, finding a group to sit with at lunch with two and the clothes you wear with seven.

The results showed that the biggest freshman fears out of 35 students were failing grades in first with 28 out of 35 students, higher expectations from authority in second with 20, fitting in/ acceptance and new classes/schedule tying in third with 12.

Though a poll can point out some specific fears of the students, there are many more still to be shared. Villines stated his fears.

“My biggest fear for this year is not being able to keep up with all of the assignments and grades high schoolers have to deal with,” Villines said. “Since it?s our first year, we know what to expect. It?s nerve racking, but also exciting.”

Although there are many fears that freshman carry, they also seem to be excited about the new school year, as Villines stated. History Teacher, Kori Friesen, having taught Freshmen classes, knows some of the biggest freshmen fears, but also sees a new difference in this year?s freshmen.

“The freshmen this year have a good level of confidence,” Friesen said. “Usually fear is a characteristic of the incoming freshmen class is that they lack confidence. This year?s freshmen don?t have that issue. They fear, fitting in and the adjustment to stricter classroom expectations, which is right now a big fear of theirs?. I notice kids are nervous about grades and nervous about expectations and they don?t have a feel yet for the change from junior high to high school. They are quick to be nervous about assignments and grading, but other than that this years? freshmen class seems to be adjusting really quick.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jareds_the_name.

For more features, read the Aug. 19 article, Back to School Night showcases parents to classes, teachers.