COLUMN: Ebola virus continues to infect

Rees
[/media-credit] Rees Roggenstein, opinions editor, warns of potential Ebola outbreak in the United States.

Ebola, once a far away concern to the US and her citizens has finally managed to breach the walls of the nation and infect the citizens. Thomas Eric Duncan, or “Patient Zero” was the first person to bring the virus to the States. Though the local Dallas hospital attempted to save his life, he eventually succumbed to the disease. Not before he infected a nurse that attended to him, becoming the first case of Ebola being transmitted and contracted in America.

Recent media coverage of the potential outbreak has been criticized for exasperating the situation, however, that simply is not the case. Though there is only one live patient for the disease in the States, the potential devastation that they pose is massive.

Ebola has an incubation period of 2 to 21 days, hosts may be infected and exhibit no symptoms during this time. The virus itself is highly infectious, being able to transmit itself through bodily fluids such as: blood, saliva and mucus. Cross species contamination is possible, meaning animals can transfer the disease to humans, visa versa. Even corpses remain infected for a number of days. The mortality rate for Ebola is above 50% without treatment, about 25% with top of the line treatment.

Though this disease poses an immediate threat to West African countries, it also poses a potential danger to first world nations if not handled correctly. Current US policy has not upheld a satisfactory containment of the disease.

Recent media coverage of the potential outbreak has been criticized for exasperating the situation, however, that simply is not the case. Though there is only one live patient for the disease in the States, the potential devastation that they pose is massive. –Rees Roggenstein

Boarders have not been closed and countries infected with the Ebola virus are still allowed to leave their country boarders and fly on commercial airlines. Proper quarantine procedures have not been upheld. This policy is not sustainable.

There are two ways to eradicate a disease. One, find a cure for the disease and administer the cure to all infected organisms. Two, quarantine all infected organisms until the virus kills all of its hosts.

Because Ebola has an incubation period of 2 to 21 days, an infected person could leave a country without exhibiting any symptoms, then spread the disease even further. The safest way to deal with Ebola is to shutdown transportation to all infected nations, and all infected citizens should be moved to an isolated area within each country and monitored. “Better safe than sorry” is a welcomed policy in regards to a potential outbreak.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather,  Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 6 article, COLUMN: Disinterest in current events is impacting a generation