Founding campus teacher retires

With this year’s senior class, a familiar face on campus will depart on May 29 and stand for her last graduation ceremony.

Fresno Christian bids goodbye to one of their founding members this year with the retirement of first grade teacher Gladys Kerfoot.

Kerfoot, who has been a part of the FC family for 26 years, is leaving the teaching profession after 39 years. The lasting impact she has left on numerous students cannot be measured.

“I remember being scared out of my mind on my first day,” Christopher Schultz, student activities director, said. “However, Mrs. Kerfoot was so welcoming and loving that I went home and told my parents how much I loved first grade.”

Kerfoot was one of the original five members who first founded Fresno Christian back in 1977. Kerfoot began teaching first grade in ’77 when FC was just K-2. With her retirement fast approaching, Kerfoot now has time to reflect on her memories at FC.

“I am thankful to God for the privilege he has given me to teach at Fresno Christian for the past 26 years,” Kerfoot said. “It has been most gratifying to have had a part in the education of children and to see many of them grow into Godly young men and women.”

Many seniors on campus have gone through Kerfoot’s class and have memories that will last a lifetime.

“My favorite part of first grade was reading time,” Leah Brower, ’03, said. “We would all sit in a circle and then Mrs. Kerfoot would read us stories. I loved it.”

Kerfoot began teaching in Southern California but moved to Fresno when she felt God’s call on her life.

“I felt God’s direct leading to teach at Fresno Christian and he has blessed my decision many times over,” Kerfoot said. “The friendships I have made here will last a lifetime and beyond into eternity.”