COLUMN: Be a spirited participant at homecoming

Grossman
[/media-credit] Senior Christopher Grossman

Well, once again students are faced with the biggest week of first semester: homecoming. Dress-up days, pageants, floats and of course, the football game.

As you may know, this is my senior year, which means I have been around for many homecomings, even stretching back to the days when it was held at Clark Intermediate, not Eagle Field.

Through it all, I’ve figured out that there is nothing quite like homecoming. It captivates the high school spirit, embodying the unique intensities and competitions we experience during our four years.

This being said, homecoming is an event to be savored. I will be going to formal events throughout my life, people grow out of sports, but homecoming is special. I will never again be helping my classmates prepare our float. I will never again be rushing around all day to make sure a pageant is ready to go; and I will not be feeling the camaraderie of dress-up days with 180 of my closest friends in the foreseeable future.

Student Leadership has spent over a month in preparing for the event, as it recognizes the enormity of the week. Through scheduling events, staying updated with representatives from classes, and decisive discussions, the class has figured out every last detail to the best of their abilities.

Homecoming needs to be honored, it needs to be executed, and it needs to be remembered. I imagine that in 20 years, when I look back at my days on FC’s campus, I will remember graduation, I will remember the random moments with my friends, and I will remember homecoming.

Though there is not really a single negative element of the week, there is a clear favorite in my mind; the pageants. From the hilarious videos to the King Dance, a pageant is always a promise of a good time.

This year, I was fortunate enough to be nominated for Homecoming King. To say the preparation for the King pageant is extensive would be an understatement. I can tell you this much: it will be a memorable one.

Homecoming needs to be honored, it needs to be executed, and it needs to be remembered. I imagine that in 20 years, when I look back at my days on FC’s campus, I will remember graduation, I will remember the random moments with my friends, and I will remember homecoming. — Christopher Grossman

To those {and yes, there always are a few} who speak negatively of homecoming week and the events during it, one should first understand just how much work is put into every single element.

The student leadership class is going all out this year to provide the best homecoming experience, and it will certainly be one for the books. This is my plea: Be a spirited participant at homecoming.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ChrisGrossman.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 24 column, COLUMN: Invitation to homecoming.