Max Hinton Blood Drive, Oct. 27

Six years ago Max Hinton, a seven year old student at FC was diagnosed with nueroblastoma. The school community rallied around the young survivor, establishing a blood drive in his honor.
[/media-credit] Six years ago Max Hinton, a seven year old student at FC was diagnosed with nueroblastoma. The school community rallied around the young survivor, establishing a blood drive in his honor.

Sixth Annul Max Hinton Blood Drive

Six years ago Max Hinton, a seven year old student at FC was diagnosed with nueroblastoma. The school community rallied around the young survivor, establishing a blood drive in his honor. Although, Hinton’s cancer is currently in full remission, FC continues the tradition in his name.

Now in the 5th grade Hinton still recalls the gratitude he felt for those who provided encouragement in the midst of his illness.

“When I first heard about the blood drive done under my name I felt good,” Hinton said. “I wasn?t really expecting it to happen. I’m very grateful for the support the school gave me during that time.”

The sixth annual Max Hinton blood drive will take place from 1-4:30pm, Oct. 27. The Central Blood Center mobile will be stationed in the high school parking lot, equipped with trained and experienced personnel.

According to Laura Geuvjehizian, donor recruiter for the Central California Blood Center, the blood drive program is a strong support for the medical system in our community.

“Each pint of blood collected can save up to 3 lives. It can give the person in need of blood more time to be with their loved ones,” Geuvjehizian said, “The Central California Blood Center provides 5,000-6,000 pints of blood a month to 31 local hospitals. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, lives are being saved and prolonged on a daily basis.”

This year FC has implemented another incentive for students to give. Any donor, student or adult who donates under the name of a particular grade level will secure points for that class in the homecoming competition. In addition to this, participants will receive a free t-shirt upon donation and a sweet snack afterwards.

FC students, faculty members and families are encouraged to participate in the charity. All donors however, are required to be of at least 16 years of age, weigh a minimum of 110lbs and be in relatively good health. A guardian signed permission slip is required for all students under the age of 17 who plan to donate.

Participants are advised to drink plenty of water and have a large meal about four hours before donation in order to insure optimum comfort and safety.

Tyranophonia is the medical term for a fear of needles and injections. An estimated 20% of the population has this phobia among them is Allison Breedlove, ’16’. Although, reluctant to donate at FC’s annual blood drive, Breedlove plans to overcome that fear and contribute to her class’s overall ranking.

“I don?t like needles they scare me,” Breedlove said. “I have had a fear of them for at least as long ago as junior high. It?s just something that?s always been there. They really hurt and freak me out. I get really light headed and dizzy and feel like passing out whenever needles are in me, so I?m not a really big fan. I think I?m going to try to face this fear and donate but if I don?t I may have my mom donate for the junior class.”

Sign up for the sixth annual Max Hinton blood drive at the high school office. For any additional questions or concerns please contact the Central California Blood Center at 559.389.5433.

For more news, read Oct. 23 article, Parents to host movie night for students of all ages.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronlilne. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email:[email protected]