Color guard teacher shapes routine, students

As a school, FC focuses on a variety of visual art classes. Within this sphere is drama, band, percussion, art, home economics, and color guard. Color guard students and advisor have been preparing since the beginning of the year for the upcoming parades, routine shows and hopes to do these events to the best of their ability.

FC alumna Megan Stewart, is currently teaching color guard to 11 students here at FC. This is her second year teaching at FC and she hopes to stay for several years to come.

“I heard they were looking for someone to fill the position of color guard coach and I decided to apply,” Stewart said. “My favorite memory from teaching here is seeing how all the work we invest during class comes together in the end.”

Stewart was a lifer at FC and graduated as a member of the class of 2011. She became interested in joining color guard in her sophomore year and has been doing it ever since.

“My friend Jessica Massie used to be majorette {baton wielder} here and encouraged me to join, so I did,” Stewart said. “Guard is fun to me, it’s something beautiful and elegant, yet, it takes time and commitment to perfect our routines. It’s a lot of hard work at the beginning, yet in the end it is rewarding and worth the work.”

Stewart is currently attending Fresno State, working towards a major in geology. So far, geology is her favorite class and she hopes that it will continue to be.

Mr. {Terry} Richards, my 8th grade earth science teacher talked me into taking geology class” Stewart said. “I like it because it combines with everything like math, science and other subjects. I would recommend taking this class for students taking a science major because a lot of classes will offer basic geology as apart of your General Ed.”

One of the current color guard students, Summer Villanueba, ’15, thinks that Stewart does a great job in coaching. She thinks her coaching specifics helps her in improving her skills.

“As a coach, she’s very reasonable, she doesn’t push too hard, but if she does, we respect her as much as possible,” Villanueba said. “She is a fun teacher, and whatever we’re doing is enjoyable. As a person, she’s really outgoing, and when she sets a goal she completes it.”

Min Lee, ’16, is one of the first year students in color guard. She loves being in guard with her coach and having fun during class.

“She’s really nice, friendly and she really cares about us,” Lee said. “She’s {Stewart} really nice and professional about color guard. She’s a hard worker, and a really great coach, teacher and friend.”

Stewart expects another good year with her students. Her goal is to entertain the audience in a much needed way.

“My goal for this year is to improve from last year, and work more on dance,” Stewart said. “I would like to continue teaching at FC. It’s fun and I like seeing other people and parents enjoying what we do.”

Color Guard schedule for the rest of the year:

Veterans Parade, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.

San Joaquin Valley Color Guard and Percussion Review (SJVCGPR) Show No. 1, Jan. 24, 2015 at Clovis East High School

SJVCGPR Show No. 2, Feb. 7, 2015 at Lemoore High School

SJVCGPR Show No. 3, Feb. 13, 2015 at Buchanan High School

Fresno State Winterguard Invitational, Feb. 28, 2015, at Hoover High School

SJVCGPR Show No. 4, March 6, 2015 at Clovis North High School

SJVCGPR Shoe No. 5, Match 13, 2015 at Clovis East High School

SJVCGPR Junior High and High School Regional A Championships, March 27, 2015

Follow The Feather on Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @mattgarza2017.

For more features, read the Nov. 4 article, Photojournalism advisor adjusts to new position, offers professional experience.