• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Errors contribute to softball playoff defeat

The girls’ softball team finished their West Sierra League games with a 4-2 win over Firebaugh on May 8. With intensifying practices, the girls prepared for a fight, but Fowler beat the Eagles, 9-0, in the first round of the WSL playoffs on May 13.

“We did pretty good in the league games,” coach Robert Foshee said. “We didn’t achieve what we could have, but the girls played with honor and represented the school well.”

Fowler pulled ahead with a six-run second inning and kept their lead for the remainder of the game. The Eagles committed five errors in the game. Sara Wiens, ’04, was the losing pitcher and Megan Gable, ’03, had a double, one of the Eagle’s three hits.

The Eagles had high hopes in their last league match when Michelle Smith, ’04, hit a two-run single, capping a three-run fourth inning to lead the way for Tara Thompson’s, ’04, winning run over Firebaugh.

“It was nice to have that hit because I hadn’t contributed very much to offense that day” Smith said. “We didn’t hit our best, but we played good defense; so that got us the victor.”

Earlier in the season FC beat Tranquility, 14-2, on May 1. Tiffany Kaiser, ’03, led the team offensively hitting 3 doubles and 7 RBIs, which tied her for a school record set in 1999.

“The overall season was full of fun and excited memories that I will cherish forever,” Kaiser said. “I think as a team we came together at the end of the league and pulled through to the playoffs. I’m very satisfied with the results.”

The girls’ softball team finished off with s a record of 10-5 in league and 13-12 overall.