The Car Guys: Exhaust choices power muscle cars

The thunderous sound of a finely tuned V8 car rolls down the road as a car alarms sets off and people stand and stare. The exhaust of a car is a large aspect of how it is evaluated. From the sound of thunder to the noise of a ?dying moose’ for nearly 100 years, the exhaust of an automobile has been an important factor.

Many look at the exhaust system as a main ingredient to a performance vehicle. The exhaust can bring interest to a vehicle but at the same time make it run cleaner.

Dual exhaust is always better for an upgraded performance vehicle. Backpressure can be deducted by a dual line system if the chambers within are measured correctly.

Top fuel dragsters, hot rods, 60s muscle cars, and modern day performance cars, all have much in common but at the same time differ greatly. Drag cars and vintage automobiles have header tubes coming from the heads to the main mufflers. New cars use a plain exhaust manifold to the muffler instead of big tube headers in order to save money.

Mufflers have been a large factor in a cars exhaust. Many companies have made a name for themselves by creating deep sounding exhaust while muffling the tone and not loosing much horsepower by the catalytic converter.

Flowmaster, Borla, Extreme Flow, Dyno Max and Edelbrock have been known to provide a more defined tone for a car.

“On all American models such as trucks and V8 cars, I would definetly use Flowmaster,” Bill King owner of Cal State muffler in Clovis. “Borla also makes an excellent system but Flowmaster is just more bang for the buck.”

It is said that a good dual exhaust system can increase horsepower, lengthen transmission life and gain gas mileage. In the 1960s ones only option was to use dual glass pack mufflers and are still popular today.

No matter what the consumer’s choice is, there is nothing like an all-American exhaust system.