Super Size Me seminar plays blame game

?That?s so messed up in so many ways,? Morgan Spurlock, acclaimed director of the film, Super Size Me, said during a speech in the Fresno City College gym on April 26.

Spurlock was invited as a guest speaker for students and press to promote his film and raise awareness for national obesity.

Spurlock went on an hour-long rant of how McDonald?s can be held responsible for the increasing obesity of America. Referring to McDonald?s? releasing a Ronald McDonald exercise video for kids, Spurlock seemed personally insulted by the marketing strategies of McDonald?s.

?McDonald?s serves more than 46 million people a day,? Spurlock said. ?On average, you?re being served between 1,000 and 3,000 calories a meal.?

The Food and Drug Administration claims that the average adult should consume no more than 2,000 calories a day (www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-lab5.html).

The issue of children being lured into McDonald?s arose in the midst of Spurlock?s speech.

?McDonald?s developed the play places specifically for children,? Spurlock said. ?They created the happy meal with toys to attract younger consumers. McDonald?s even has a clown to promote their food.?

Spurlock presses the fact that one in three children born in 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime (www.supersizeme.com). Approximately 17 million people in America have diabetes, and 5 million of them do not even know it (www.fda.gov/diabetes).

While McDonald?s seems to be caught red-handed, they have made strides to promote the health of their customers. With the release of the ?Active Adult? meal, McDonald?s has attempted to reshape their image. Last year, McDonald?s sold 150 million salads. However, this made up less than 1% of total sales.

Spurlock recently wrapped up a nation-wide school tour and is starring in an FX show called 30 Days; it will be released in early June.

?I?m excited about Spurlock?s new FX show,? David Akina, physical science teacher, said. ?He?ll challenge people to step out of their own lives for others? for 30 days. We live in an egocentric world; many people are incapable of seeing life from another?s point of view.?

For additional information and facts refer to The Feather?s March 7 online article, ?Super Size Me Enlarges Awareness?.