Test taking rituals vary among students

Many students have interesting beliefs of what helps one pass an exam. In high school, a very popular test taking ritual is gum chewing and sugar consumption. Some believe that certain things can bring luck such as last minute studies, and prayer.

“For me, taking a test is a mental battle,” Kevin Reed, ’05, said. “I have to study nights in advance to make sure I get the grade I need. Some small things help me such as gum chewing and keeping on task throughout my studies.”

It is said that constant memorization and good study habits help one score high on an exam. But are there other things that help one pass an exam? The answer is yes. Taking a test is purely a mind game. Everyone has a different memorization path that gets triggered in different ways.

“I read the notes that I take in class,” Marcy Froese,’04 said. “I usually start to review the material a few days before the test. I base my study time on the difficulty of the subject.”

The controversy of students not studying for tests has been a great problem for teachers. Students suffer from not having enough time to study to not having the proper motivation. Some students however view studying as a waste of time.

“I haven’t studied for one test the entire year,” Maurice Turner, ?04, said. “I don’t believe that studying will help me to pass tests. All the information is already in my head, why would I waste my time reading over it again?”

Still, the most effective way to prepare for a test is to review the material covered and commit it to memory. Memorization is always the main goal.

For more information on improving study habits visit www.caps.unc.edu/TenTraps.html.