Mock election spurs involvement, insight

[/media-credit] The candidates have been locked in a fierce campaign battle since the middle of the summer, and have fought to win over different demographics.

In California and across the country, midterm elections will launch, Tuesday, Nov. 4. Midterms are held to elect representatives to the House and Senate, they also allow voters to pass or not pass propositions.

This year in the valley the major representative election featureĀ Valadao vs. Renteria in the 21st Congressional district, and Vidak vs. Chavez in the 14th State Senate race. Valadao and Vidak are both the incumbents in their races.

Valadao supports conservative values, such as limiting regulations on business and lowering the tax rate. Renteria, on the other hand, is a democrat that holds more liberal views on issues such as the economy and immigration.

Vidak and Chavez are in a tight battle for the 14th California State Senate vote. Vidak is a Republican and a farmer that has backed local job fairs and supports local economy. Chavez is new to the political scene, he is a democrat and supports more liberal strategies than Vidak, he is also endorsed by Governor Jerry Brown.

The candidates have been locked in a fierce campaign battle since the middle of the summer, and have fought to win over different demographics. In both races the majority of the voting population is Hispanic and all candidates have chosen relatable topics to run on.

Vidak and Valadao both have connected themselves to the fight for water in the Central Valley. Renteria and Chavez on the other hand have been more concerned with education for minorities.

Other things voters in California will see on their ballot today will be Propositions 1, 2, 45, 46, 47 and 48.

Propositions:

Proposition 1: The California Water Bond. The Prop. will facilitate the building of water storage for years of drought and treatment of water.

Proposition 2: State Budget Stabilization. A “rainy day” fund will be put in place to easily stabilize the states budget in times of need.

Proposition 45: Healthcare Rate Review. This Prop. will force insurance companies to justify their rates and be transparent in their rate policy.

Proposition 46: Drug and Alcohol Testing of Doctors. Doctors will be forced to take a drug and alcohol test regularly, but the Prop. also includes a change in the minimum amount of medical negligence lawsuit restitution from 250,000 to 1.1 million dollars.

Proposition 47: Criminal Sentencing Changes. Changes will be made to some criminal laws and will allow for minor felony offenses to be downgraded to a misdemeanor.

Proposition 48: Indian Gaming Compact. If this Prop. is passed it would allow the Indians of the North Fork Rancheria and the Mono tribe to come together and build a casino off of tribal land.

The student body at FC recently voted on the race for Governor and the Propositions.

The results can be viewed, along with every other school that participated in California from the Secretary of States website.

Be sure to go to your polling place today and help to change our great state in the best way you see fit. Polling places will be open until 8 p.m. tonight.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Beal2015.

For more on politics, read the Sept. 16 article, Alumna works on Capitol Hill. For more news, read the Nov. 3 article, BRIEF: Operation Christmas Child boxes due, Nov. 12.