COLUMN: Samaritan's Purse gives back this holiday season

Kevin-Garcha
[/media-credit] Junior Kevin Garcha

Samaritan’s Purse started up in the 1970s to support and serve people in distress around the world. Since Samaritan’s Purse’s purpose is about helping those in need, they created a branch that aims to bring joy to less fortunate children around the world during the holidays, Operation Christmas Child.

Operation Christmas Child provides a way to give to the children who are in need and cannot afford receiving gifts on this holiday. The program makes sure that if Santa cannot come visit the children, the Samaritan’s Purse gives back to the community and those who do not have a way to receive a gift during the holidays.

Every Christmas volunteers from around the world pack shoeboxes, filling them with toys and educational gear for the children to use and play with on Christmas. Operation Christmas Child makes the promise of caring for those who are uncared for.

An ordinary shoebox contains toys such as a teddy bear and hot wheels, or some pencils and drawing books. Food is not allowed to be shipped to the children due to health risks. Also, every shoebox comes with something that connects the child to God’s Holy Word.

Operation Christmas Child is a great opportunity for students to make an impact in their community and also make a difference in a land foreign to them. Both Operation Christmas Child and Samaritan’s Purse gives back this holiday season.

After personally participating in the Operation Christmas Child gifting, I can say the feeling I got once completed the box was very positive. The feeling knowing you are helping someone in another place is very uplifting and brings great vibes.

Every child deserves to be special on Christmas. Operation Christmas Child are doing their part, are you?

A final collection of boxes will be Monday morning, Nov. 17. It’s not too late. Think #FCGiveThanks. And if creating a Christmas box is not for you, please consider another act of kindness and generosity this holiday season.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @garchakevin8.

For more opinions, read the Nov. 13 article, Almunus undergoes severe ulcerative colitis, discovers natural remedies.