Football sport short: Alpaugh

FOOTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2014
For a preview to the Eagles football season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2014, for dates, scores, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 6-3 overall and 3-1 in the Central Sierra League as of Nov. 7. FC’s next game will be on Nov. 14, as the Eagles play Kings Christian for the league Championship game.

FOOTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2014
Another win for the Eagles, Nov. 7

Julian-Castro-run
[/media-credit] Sophomore Julian Castro attempts to sprint down the field evading the Alpaugh Buffalo defense.

The Eagles faced the Alpaugh Buffaloes for the last game of the season, this final match-up featured Senior Night. The game was expected to be an easy win, and the coaches were not disappointed.

In the first play of the game, the Eagles had taken the ball, thrown a 65 yard pass to Senior Taylor Howard for a run, achieving the first of many touchdowns to come. As the game progressed, FC dominated all parts of play, refusing to give more than five yards of offensive gain at a time to the Buffaloes.

The second quarter went similar to the first except while the first ended with two touchdowns the second ended with three, starting halftime 35-0.

Throughout the game, the Eagles had a harder time of generating touchdowns due to the Eagles all senior squad. While the seniors are well versed at their particular assignments, the mix up of positions proved to set back the Eagles.

In the third quarter, this factor became notably apparent, where the Eagles were only able to gain a field goal, finalizing the quarter 38-0.

The Eagles were now comfortably sitting ahead and eager to increase their already enormous lead. After a slow third, the final quarter quickened its pace for the Eagles, adding another 14 points to the already daunting scoreboard, ending the game 52-0.

Similar to the previous game, FC experienced a somewhat manageable game. Hopefully despite these games, the Eagles will be capable of challenging a more experienced opponent and not fall prey to the jock mentality.
&%picture2placement%&
Senior Dillon Owens enjoyed Senior Night and for the chance to play and learn a new position as the Eagles running back for the game.

“Running back is a hard position,” Owens said. “It was tough to find the gaps which the offense line would try and open. By doing this position though, it helped to show me the difficulties of other positions and remind me that all things aren’t as easy as they seem. Hopefully for the Kings game, we will be fast with the play making. If we huddle it needs to be fast, and preferably a no huddle offense, that would prove to be a deciding factor in the game.”

Senior and defensive end Austin Insco was thankful for Senior Night and the chance to appreciate all of what the seniors do for the team.

“I enjoyed the game a lot,” Insco said. ” Everyone fulfilled their positions, played hard, and in the end we came out with the win. I wish the senior offense would have been allowed to do some of the plays which we practiced, but in the end, it was still fun. Hopefully for the game against Kings Christian the defense will have learned the correct ways to tackle with the technique and everything.”

Head coach Mick Fuller was unavailable for comment.

The Eagles will next play the Kings Christian Crusaders for the championship game in Lemoore, Nov. 14.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter.

For more sports, read the Nov. 7 article, Volleyball sport shorts: Riverdale