BREAKING: CSPA names Feather Gold Crown Finalist

IMG_4706 (1)
[/media-credit] Last year, editor Viviana Hinojosa and The Feather staff won the CSPA Gold Crown. This year The Feather Online is a finalist.

For the 7th year in a row, Columbia Scholastic Press Association at Columbia University in New York City, has named The Feather Online as one of the 2015 Digital Media Gold Crown Finalist, Nov. 10. Nominees of the Digital Media Crowns are considered the best examples of scholastic media in the United States.

Over 1,400 digital newspapers were eligible for the award which honors the top papers in the country, regardless of size, division or state.

The Feather is one of 14 online newspapers named in the Digital Publications category as a Gold Crown Finalist nomination. Other nominees around the country include: The Clarion, FHNToday.com, Inklingsnews.com, King Street Chronicle, Livewire, My Jag News, Southwestshadow.com, The Chant, The Eagle’s Tale Online, The Foothill Dragon Press, The Paly Voice, The Pride Online, The Red Ledger and The Rider Online.

The CSPA awards its finalists with either a Silver Crown or to distinguished medias, a Gold Crown at the CSPA’s 91st annual Spring Scholastic Convention, March 18-20, 2015. Other categories which the CSPA nominates, along with Digital Publications, such as Yearbook, Magazine, Print or Hybrid are also selected as crown finalists during the year.

Last year, The Feather received an All-American critique from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) and a CSPA Gold Crown.

Editor-in-Chief Sara Peterson, ’15, was hesitant about this year’s staff participation, but surprised by the outcome.

“At the beginning of the year I wasn’t sure about how we were going to do because we have a whole new editorial staff,” Peterson said. “After becoming familiar with the staff and duties this year, I’m confident in our abilities.”

Editor-in-Chief Chloe Mueller, ’16, feels excited that the staff’s effort has been effective.

“I was so thrilled to hear the news that we got nominated for this award,” Mueller said. “After a semester of stress, it’s nice to see that all of our hard work is paying off.”

Senior Editor Ryan King was elated after hearing the news and motivated by the staff to keep up the momentum while facing the challenges this year has offered.

“I’m really proud of our staff this year,” King said. “We have worked hard and I’m excited to see what is to come. With an inexperienced staff it may seem difficult to produce as much as past years, but the challenge has proven to be an opportunity for staffers to work harder through the obstacles in front of us.”

A number of editors and adviser Greg Stobbe are planning a trip to New York City, where they will attend the CSPA conference and await the announcement of Crown awards in mid-March. They hope to receive an annual critique from CSPA. Please return to this article for an update.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline.

For more news, read the Nov. 10 article, BRIEF: 95th Annual Veterans Day Parade honors Coast Guard, Nov. 11.