Featured App: goREACT, Molecules, VSB chemistry

Through apps via smartphones, many different resources are available to many campus students. Featured App is a bi-weekly installment covering apps whether games or educational, which students could consider useful in their every day lives.

Traditionally chemistry is one of the most difficult classes offered on campus; it causes many campus students to stress. So this week, The Feather staff is promoting three different apps to help chemistry students with their studies.

goREACT

goREACT is an app available on iOS, Android and webpage that demonstrates simple combination reaction. It allows users to drag elements from the periodic table into a “reacting area” in which the selected elements/atoms form a compound.

The users can decide the way atoms react as well as the information shown by switch reaction/display modes from standard, atomic, ionic and Lewis Dot (electron dot).

In addition, the app shows selected element’s basic information including it’s state, texture and interesting usages. However, the application does not support the formation of complicated ionic compounds.

Molecules

Molecules is developed by Sunset Lake Software. It allows users to download, view and manipulate the 3D models of various molecules. Most of the molecules on this app are available on both sphere based and ball-and-sticks based models.

In addition, users can view detailed information about the molecules, such as the number of atoms in each molecule, number of different structures and it’s scientific name. However, Molecules is only available on iOS devices so far.

VSB Chemistry

Visual Smart Book (VSB) Chemistry systematically introduces students to the basics of Chemistry. Unlike the previous two applications, which facilitate the voluntary study, VSB Chemistry provides a set of video lectures that explains the basics chemistry concepts.

After watching the video, a quiz will be available for the users to check their progress. Besides the lecture mode introduced above, VSB Chemistry has a “periodic table” mode that offers professional and thorough information of each elements.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @MojunPan.

For more Featured Apps, read the Nov. 4 aticle, Featured App: Quora.

For more features, read Nov. 17 article, Citizens compare pros and cons of flu vaccinations.