New album sparks interest in community

Known as the cheeky, blonde haired, country girl we all know and love, Taylor Swift has continued to make a name for herself and has stayed true to her vision.

swift27f-1-web

Born Dec. 13, 1989, now the American singer-songwriter that she has grown to be, she’s really done well for herself.

She was raised in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania. Swift moved to Nashville, Tennessee, at the age of 14 to pursue a career in country music. Her parents moved her and her brother Austin there to help Swift pursue her dreams of becoming a musician, which she well fulfilled.

Swift has, so far, released 6 albums. In 2006 she came out with her first album, Taylor Swift. Following that was her 2008 album, Fearless. In 2010 she debuted her album Speak Now. In 2011 her Speak Now Live World Tour album. After that came her 2012 Red album, which changed the game for her, as this is the album where she started making a name for herself. And now in 2014 her 1989 album has topped many charts within the first month of selling.

Her newest album debuted on Oct. 27, 2014, through Big Machine Records. The title, 1989, was fitting being that was the year that she was born.

This album marked Swift’s third time selling 1 million copies of a debuted album within the first week. She is the first ever artist to achieve this, and was recently given the award: The Dick Clark Award for Excellence, Sunday at the American Music Awards.

Swift has been widely known through and by her music from various genres to country, (where she started her career), to alternative rock, to pop, to and eclectic indie style, (as showcases by her new album, 1989). She has never been one to follow the crowd, but to simply make her own crowd, which is why she has been such a hit with young girls in the past years, helping them to identify themselves musically.

Music is a powerful thing; it can speak to anyone.

Moving away form her country twang familiar sound towards a more eclectic, pop sort of sound, the CD is a big hit with her fans.

The 1989 album comes jam-packed with 16 tracks:
1. Welcome To New York
2.Blank Space
3.Style
4. Out of the Woods
5. All You Had To Do Was Stay
6. Shake It Off
7. I Wish You Would
8. Bad Blood
9. Wildest Dreams
10. How You Get The Girl
11. This Love
12. I Know Places
13. Clean
14. Wonderland (Bonus Track)
15. You Are In Love (Bonus Track)
16. New Romantics (Bonus Track)

Exclusive voice memos:
1. I Know Places (piano/vocal)
2. I Wish You Would (piano/vocal)
3. Blank Space (guitar/vocal)

To CD listeners only, there are three bonus tracks, and three voice compilations that walk the listener step-by-step through Swift’s process of song writing.

Junior Alexis Kalugin gives feedback about the newest Taylor Swift album.

“I personally like her ‘Red’ album the best, so this one was kind of a let down for me, but a lot of the songs are surprisingly growing on me,” Kalugin said. “The track I like the most is the song ‘This Love’, because it reminds me of her old stuff, and I enjoy being nostalgic.”

Senior Aaron DeWolf shares his opinion of the new album.

“This album was a let down for me, because Taylor has always been one to migrate to a new sound, but this album just made it seem like she is trying too hard, and I’m not a fan of that. There are a few songs I enjoy, but over-all I’m not pleased with it. I wish she would have stuck to the old Taylor.”

Senior Jason Swain expresses his admiration for the new album.

“I’ve always liked the country Taylor Swift, but I’m also liking this new, iconic Taylor. It’s new and fresh, and I like it. I’m sure the album is a hit.”

Some of Swift’s fans are disappointed, while others are applauding her with a great smile, but that’s the beauty of music; a song can relate to just about anyone no matter the circumstances. Have a listen for yourself and see what she’s accomplished.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Kathryn_Damschen.

For more reviews, read the Nov. 18 article, Bands inspire spiritual growth through lyrics, beats (VIDEO).