COLUMN: Winter school spirit opportunities

[/media-credit] Senior Christopher Grossman share Winter school spirit ideas to get involved during the winter season.
So, we have made it through the first few months of school; there’s only a couple weeks left. Now what?

Well, we’ve already passed Homecoming, fall sports are over, and holidays advocating “family time” are upon us. So how are we to stay involved in school? Well, Student Leadership has your back. There are a few different ways to get involved before we all buy new calendars. New winter school spirit opportunities to get involved are lining up.

The first is the annual Fall Festivus, to be held Nov. 25. Tickets are only $15, and can be bought in the High School office. Just as last year, dinner will be served, and we’ll be watching a movie outside. That being said, make sure to bring your own blanket! There will be fire pits, complete with “s’more stations” to accommodate all of your marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker needs.

This is sure to be a chill, relaxing night with your friends and a great way to meet and socialize with other students. It will be from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m., and if you have any other questions, be sure to ask myself, or any other member of the Student Leadership team.

An ongoing event that will be ending December 9 is the Canned Food Drive that we participate in every year. Students are encouraged to bring canned food for families in need in the Pinedale area. Each class will have their donations recorded, and whichever class brings the most will be rewarded before the semester comes to a close.

A new event that is starting up this year is the Christmas Tree Lane Walk, where all students are invited to meet at Fig Garden to walk Christmas Tree Lane, Dec. 10. Student Leadership would love to see you participate in a Ugly Christmas Sweater competition, and the student with the ugliest sweater will win a free Starbucks drink.

After meeting to hold the contest and take a few pictures as a group, students are free to break off and walk the lane with friends.

While this is all going on, be sure to be preparing for your NOTS movie, as filming and editing always take longer than expected. Classes should be deciding on what movies they will be recording during advisory periods, and script writing should be wrapped up by Christmas break.

All this aside, involvement starts with you. Student leadership would love to see every student be a part of some sort of school event, and if you have any questions or comments, my door is always open.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Chris_Grossman.

For more opinions, read the Nov. 20 article, College Corner: Financial Aid. For more ASB columns, read the Oct. 27 article, COLUMN: Be a spirited participant at homecoming.