Girls soccer sport shorts: Fowler

IMG_5549r
[/media-credit] Varsity girls soccer face off against the Fowler Redcats for their first home game of the season.

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2014-15
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2014-15, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2014-15 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Mapreps.com. FC is currently 0-1 in the West Sequoia League and overall 6-4 as of Jan. 13

Girls fall to Redcats in overtime

The Eagles hosted the Fowler Redcats at home for the first league game of the season. Both teams have been equally matched in the past, and the game was one to be anticipated.

Both teams came out with the same level of intensity and determination. The Eagles were the first to take shots on goal, but were shut down soon after. As the half went on the Eagles dwindled down to a state of survival as the Wildcats amped up their game.

Starting off the second half, the Eagles came out ready to put up more of a fight and battle for the win. The Eagle defense was stronger than ever against the powerhouse Wildcats and held them off for the rest of regular time.

Overtime started with both teams feeling pressured and desperate for a goal. The Wildcats managed a shot which was accidentally kicked in by an FC defender due to lack of communication. As the second half commenced the Eagles fought hard and never gave up, yet despite their efforts were unable to score.

Recently injured senior and co-captain, Ivette Ibarra, expresses her mixed feelings about the game.

“Being my first home game of the season, I was very enthused to be back on the field with my team,” Ibarra said. “Physically I was out of shape and couldn’t preform to the best of my ability, however I thoroughly enjoyed my time out on the field. I wish that we had won the game, but all that means is that we need to work harder and pull out the win next time we play them.”

Head Coach Tony Martinez believes the girls did not play to their potential but stayed in the game no matter what.

“Our girls came out ready for a fight against Fowler, we’ve been neck and neck for the past few years and it looks like it is going to continue,” Martinez said. “Our defense kept us in the game but our offense really needs to step up their game if we want to start winning.”

The Eagles wills will next play away versus the Minarets Mustangs, Jan. 16 at 3 pm.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.