COLUMN: Pushing through

People often make promises to themselves in the heat of the moment; making vain and empty attempts to change themselves. But when push comes to shove and action is required the interest in the promise wains and the body and mind become lax and unwilling. New Years resolutions provide an excellent example of unkept promises and goals. The interest and determination in resolving ones problems simply fades into the recesses of the mind as time marches on ever forward.

Statistically; about 45% of Americans usually make New Years resolutions. Promising to usually lose weight, improve their livelihood, or change their personal and social lives. Only about 8% of these people are actually successful in their endeavors.

I often find myself laughing and making fun of these people for making promises to themselves that I know they will not keep, but I too am guilty of almost the same crime. While I do not publicly pronounce my desire to make changes in my own life; I do think to myself quietly how I should improve. I know that my life can be improved, and I often know how to go about making it better, but when it comes down to actually performing I just lose interest.

The key to achieving success in these endeavors is in short commitment, perseverance and tenacity. Pushing through, the art of never giving up. The late Stuart Scott is a prime example of this. He was only able to become one of the big shots on the ESPN network due to his own ability and sheer tenacity to draw people in. Mr. Scott is a testament towards hard work and perseverance.

The Feather has also had a history of persistence through hard times, but also failures when our determination was needed the most. For us to truly succeed we must not let our goals slip away from us; we cannot lose focus as we have before.

The Feather has also had a history of persistence through hard times, but also failures when our determination was needed the most. For us to truly succeed we must not let our goals slip away from us; we cannot lose focus as we have before.–Rees Roggenstein

With the new school year beginning and we return to our daily routines; we should remember to give our all from the start. It might be hard; it might exhaust us, but we must persevere. If we do not we can fall through; we can lose track of our goals. Always persevere and never forget your priorities.

As the law of inertia states; a body in motion stays in motion, and a body in rest stays in rest. It is easy to become lax and easy going over the period of a long break; to fall into the trap of inertia. But in order to succeed; to break this habit; we must stay in motion. We must not lose sight of the gold; we must constantly move forward no matter how hard gravity pulls us down. We must always persevere; we must push through.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For more opinions, read the Jan. 16 article, EDITORIAL: Respecting the boundaries of free speech.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather,  Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.