Mystery Spot lives up to hype, expectations

FullSizeRender
[/media-credit] The Mystery Spot is a destination that has both puzzled and amazed its visitors for 75 years. The attraction is centered around a gravitational anomaly in the forest near Santa Cruz, California with tours beginning in 1940.
The Mystery Spot is something that has both puzzled and amazed its visitors for 75 years. The attraction is centered around a gravitational anomaly in the forest near Santa Cruz, California.

Tours began in 1940 and have remained successful since, the Mystery Spot is a circular area of 150 feet that questions the laws of physics and gravity. A small cabin was built to enhance the effects the Spot has on it’s visitors.

The short hike to the cabin proves to be about three times harder than one would expect. This is occurs because the closer one gets to the center, the harder gravity will push them out. Once the uphill climb is over you look down and realize you can see your feet much farther in front of you than usual.

The tour guide then goes on to place a wooden board on the window sill of the house, clearly slanted down. He placed a pool ball in the center and to everyone’s amazement rolled up instead of down. Once inside the cabin there is a lead ball that is much easier to push one way than the other and handles to hang from that display a slanted hang rather than straight up and down.

Once entering the cabin all sense of balance and depth perception were challenged. Merely walking from one room to the other proved to be quite the struggle especially considering the ease our tour guide displayed. There were multiple interactive displays built into the cabin to demonstrate the effects of gravity in the mystery spot on human bodies.

After touring the cabin, a final demonstration was performed. Volunteers stood on a log from shortest to tallest and then vice versa, and the effects were buzz worthy. Once the shortest and the tallest person switched positions the shorter person then appeared taller than the tallest man. Each patron received a free Mystery Spot bumper sticker.

From the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk it was a quick 13 minute drive. Admission is $6 per person, and $5 for vehicle parking. I was very happy with the pricing and experience I received. The tour guides were very experienced and capable of captivating an audience for the entirety of the tour.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @namoodnhoj.

For more reviews, read the Jan. 9 article, Featured app: Octagon.