College night provides resources

The Fresno Area College Night, an event held annually for grades 10-12, was held on Sept. 10 at the Fresno Convention Center from 6-9 P.M. The event had roughly 4,500 people attend and the night was very successful, according to Fresno County Office of Education’s [FCOE] Special Projects Coordinator Jennifer Quinn.

“Everything is very convenient, it’s well laid out and it’s a big help to parents and students who aren’t quite sure what their next step should be,” Quinn said. “Nowhere else will you be able to find every facet that is important or key to being accepted to college under one roof.”

The event was very important for students to attain college information, according to Jon Endicott, vice principal.

“College Night gave students exposure to a variety of colleges and universities,” Endicott said. “There was over 100 colleges there and plenty of representatives to answer any questions the students have.”

Attendees were presented with the chance to browse around the Convention Center, stopping at specific college’s tables to ask about all the many facets of college.

“We have representatives from over 100 colleges,” Quinn said, “plus breakout sessions to help kids and parents learn about how to apply to different colleges, financial aid and special interests,”

The event was helpful for students as well as parents, according to John Stevenson, ’04.

“My mom was very pleased with the event,” Stevenson said, “but I also found it very accommodating. The information they provided was accurate, practical and they didn’t waste my time.”

College admissions people from all over the country represented their campuses and over 50 different faculty members from FSU and 25 from FPU were present to assist the students by answering questions and providing any additional information they might be interested in.

“I’m went mostly for information on scholarships, both academic and athletic,” Nate King, ’05, said. “I’d like to go to Pacific, State or somewhere in town. There were a lot of people there that were able to answer my questions. I left with a more solid idea of my college future.”

For any additional information, contact Endicott in the high school office or go online at www.fcoe.k12.ca.us.

For students looking ahead into future events, the Christian College Fair will be held on Sept. 29 at 6 P.M. at People’s Church.