Girls soccer sport shorts: Riverdale

olivia-soccer
[/media-credit] The FC Eagles face the Riverdale Cowgirls and are ready to put up a fight.

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2014-15
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2014-15, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2014-15 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Mapreps.com. FC is currently 1-2 in the West Sequoia League and overall 7-5 as of Jan. 22

FC defeats number one team in league

The Riverdale Cowgirls stepped up their game this year defeating the once undefeated Caruthers Blue Raiders and dominating almost every match they’ve played this year. The Eagles were prepared to fight till the end no matter what the outcome.

Eagles started off the first half with ball, making a good run on the starting play. About ten minutes into the half the Cowgirls scored on a corner kick, only to be countered with a goal by FC (with the help of one of the Riverdale defenders) just a few minutes later. Both teams continued to play hard yet were unable to score for the rest of the half.

It was a tough game game but we managed to pull ahead. With this game the team and I regained our confidence because we had two losses in a row. I still cant believe I got the final goal, it was dream come true. –Olivia Messer

The Cowgirls started the second half strong and managed a few good runs against FC. Defender Morgan Koop scored the second goal for the Eagles midway through the second half. The Cowgirls retaliated and began playing rougher now desperate for a goal, and they managed a goal in the last few minutes of the half.

The first half of overtime set the tone for the rest of the game, both teams were neck and neck with one another. Elbows were plying, players were shoving, and parents were screaming. Although neither team scored in the first half the behavior of the parents and players intensified and carried on to the second half of overtime.

With nerves running high and time running out the game quickened in pace and aggressiveness. About halfway through the half, Olivia Messer scored on the Cowgirls with the cross from Gabriela Siqueiros. Thus ending the game and silencing the Cowgirls.

Freshmen and striker Olivia Messer was excstatic with the win and part which she was able to play in the team.

“It was a tough game game but we managed to pull ahead,” Messer said. “With this game the team and I regained our confidence because we had two losses in a row. I still cant believe I got the final goal, it was dream come true.”

The Eagles will next play the Caruthers Blue Raiders on Jan. 26

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.