Boys soccer sport short: Caruthers

caleb-sucking-hard
[/media-credit] To finish their 3 home game streak, boys soccer hosted the Caruthers Blue Raiders in their fifth league game of the season.

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2014-15
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2014-2015, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2014-15 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Mapreps.com. FC is currently 0-1 in the West Sequoia League and overall 3-1-7 as of Jan. 13

The Eagles break a league losing streak

To finish their 3 home game streak, boys soccer hosted the Caruthers Blue Raiders in their fifth league game of the season. With beautiful sunshine covering the North field, the game was underway and the two teams went at it.

For the majority of the first half the Eagles had the upper hand creating plenty of chances between the forwards Caleb Goodale and captain Taylor Howard. The Eagles defense, anchored by senior Adam Khouzam, was able to hold strong through the half, shutting out the very aggressive Blue Raiders attack.

One of the Eagles chances finally fell towards the end of the first half in the form of a corner kick taken by midfielder Davis Borrego to striker Taylor Howard, who finished with a glancing header into the far side net.

The Eagles went into half time up a score and were eager to maintain their lead and hold on for their first win in league for over 6 years.

Midway through the second half the Eagles gave up a soft goal on a missed clearance that left for an easy finish by the forwards of the Blue Raiders.

We broke like a 7 year losing streak! This was a very exciting win for us and is a good step going forward into the season. We still need to win a game but this is a great start. –Jordan Castro

With the score tied, distress sounded through the ranks of the Eagles when a hand ball in their own goal box gave Caruthers a penalty kick and a chance to take the lead. However a brilliant save by captain goalkeeper, Bailey Brogan, prevented a lead usurpation by a frustrated Blue Raiders.

A second goal by Taylor Howard seemed to secure the victory for the Eagles until a second missed clearance led to an equalizing goal near the end of regulation for Caruthers. With heads still head high the Eagles prepared for an overtime showdown.

During the overtime, FC certainly held the upper hand, with the Blue Raiders settling for mostly wildly far away shots that were easily swooped up by Brogan. For a second it looked as if the Eagles would snatch up a victory when Goodale received a wide open pass from Howard, leaving him wide open on the six yard box. Goodale’s shot however was blocked by the Caruthers goalie and overtime ended with neither team gaining ground.

Thus the game ended with a tie as the result as it is a new policy that league games do not end in penalty kicks as was the norm in previous years.

The result was still important for both team as a tie puts Caruthers league title hopes in jeopardy and represents the first non-loss in league for FC boys soccer in several years.

The only 4 year varsity player on the team, senior Jordan Castro, reacted very positively to the non-loss result.

“We broke like a 7 year losing streak!” exclaimed Castro. “This was a very exciting win for us and is a good step going forward into the season. We still need to win a game but this is a great start”

The Eagles will next play the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 30.

For more sports read the article World of Sports: Super Bowl XLIX