BRIEF: Senior night honors winter athletes

Senior1
[/media-credit] The beginning of the end begins tonight as we honor the seniors of winter sports of 2015.

The beginning of the end begins tonight as we honor the seniors of winter sports of 2015. To start off the senior nights of the winter season, the girls soccer team have a game against the Minaret Mustangs at 3:30 p.m. The honoring of the seniors will be taking place before the game. The girls team are dressing up by wearing skirts or dresses to show their excitement for the game and the evening. There are four seniors being honored.

The girl’s soccer team has had a bit of a downfall this season, compared to previous seasons, but they look forward to future games to seize opportunities to achieve more wins.

The boys soccer team is looking forward to future games to continue their uphill climb towards a great season. They will do so by playing the Mustangs as well at 3:30 p.m. and the ceremony for the seniors will also take place before the game begins. There are four seniors being honored. To show excitement for the game, the boys will dress in their best dress for the school day.

The third ceremony, which will be honoring the senior basketball boys will be taking place shortly before their game against the Mustangs at 7:30 p.m. There are six seniors being honored. To keep the tradition of dressing nicely for each home game, the boys will be dressing in their best attire during the school day.

Basketball coach Jonathan Penberthy reminisces about the year so far and the memories to be made for seasons to come.

“This is my first basketball senior night,” Penberthy said, “They are extremely hard workers, fun to be around, enjoyable guys for the whole team. I believe they are setting a good standard for the upcoming seasons and for the years to come.”

There are only four more games after boy’s basketball senior night, so if you haven’t been to any games this year, be sure and support your Eagles.

Being the Physical Education teacher, Penberthy, enjoys being able to see students in a variety of different sports like volleyball and basketball.

“It’s always fun to honor our teams and our school,” Penberthy said. “I have had the privilege of having a handful of them in volleyball or in Physical Education classes.”

During each senior night game, seniors typically get to start in the games since it is their honored night, and the coaches like to give them as much playing time as they can for the fans that have come to support all of the seniors.

Senior Ivette Ibarra reflects on her past years on the soccer team, and the impact it has made on her life.

“I’ve been playing soccer for six years and have thoroughly enjoyed it,” Ibarra said. “I’m going to miss these girls a lot. It’s going to be hard to make the transition of living without it. These girls have played a big role in my life and been some of my role models for years. Any type of chance I have to keep playing in the future, I will absolutely take it. I’ll probably make a point to play for recreational purposes, because I’ve always loved it.”

Tomorrow is the last home league game for the girl’s and boy’s soccer teams. The boy’s basketball team have four more games after tomorrow night. Make sure to support your Eagles this afternoon for girl’s soccer senior night as well as the rest of the winter sport’s teams senior nights tomorrow.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Kamschend.

For more sports, read the Feb. 2 article, Boys soccer sport short: Caruthers.