COLUMN: Service day brings out human kindness

[media-credit id=176 align=”alignright” width=”216″]Rees[/media-credit]In a world of duality, people are capable of great good and great evil. With one hand we reach out claiming we want to aid our brother, but with the other hand we are tempted smack him. Good and evil: the dual nature of man and the constant struggle he has between to the two.

Service epitomizes the good in people; it is humanity’s goodwill incarnate. People sacrificing time, effort and resources for another group of people with no promise of a reward, or even recognition. Service is essentially altruism in practice: the principle or practice of unselfish concern for others.

A number of psychologists have speculated that true altruism does not exist; even though a person may not receive any monetary reward or public recognition for their service, they still receive personal and emotional satisfaction. Because of this serving could even become selfish.

But this claim could be interpreted differently. It could mean that serving has some physical, neurological or emotional reward for those who practice it. Is it not utterly encouraging that science has proven that service truly is its own reward? That we are hotwired to feel gratification and satisfaction for something that we will not be repaid for? Is that not beautiful?

Personally, I know the sting of selfishness. When I spend each day only thinking about my own problems and thinking only about my own pleasure, I began to feel like I am sinking. I began to realize my predicament after leaving a party that everyone says was so amazing, but I feel absolutely nothing inside. When people talk about my participation, and how great or how awful an event was, I feel nothing. It became dark, and I felt hallow inside.

To fix that hallow feeling, I need to pour myself into others, helping in anyway I can: a kind word, a listening ear, really anything. So I am beginning to realize that service does not only give some emotional reward, but it can also fill a void in my heart with meaning and purpose.

So please join me and leave comments below telling how you have served recently. Any random acts of kindness, good deeds, kind words, anything. And as FC’s 2nd annual Serve Day comes Feb. 19; make sure to go out and serve with a full heart. It might be just as a fulfilling for you as it is for the people you are helping.

Students will head out at 10 a.m. on buses, and can be expected back on the campus by 3 p.m.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For more opinions, read the Feb. 6 article, Superintendent speaks: Why FC?.