FC community invited to aid Community Food Bank, Feb. 21

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 8.32.36 AM
[/media-credit] Juliana Rosik, ’16, first purposed the project to the FC community. Rosik mentioned the idea not only because she was obligated to do so for a leadership position but because she believes that service coincides with God’s ultimate will for the body of Christ.

Leadership Student suggests idea to help the food bank

Students and their families are encouraged to offer their services at Fresno’s Community Food Bank from 7-11 a.m. as part of the organizations 10,000 Hour Volunteer-A-Thon. This event aims to complete a total of 10,000 hours of service throughout the course of four non-consecutive volunteer days: Feb. 7, Feb. 21, March 7 and March 21.

Community Food Bank has been in commission since 1992 and currently feeds over 220,000 needy San Joaquin residents a month from throughout its multiple locations in Fresno, Madera and Kings County.

Juliana Rosik, ’16, first purposed the project to the FC community. Rosik mentioned the idea not only because she was obligated to do so for a leadership position but because she believes that service coincides with God’s ultimate will for the body of Christ.

“Initially I was making this service project for a director position that I have in my leadership class,” Rosik said. “But in the end I realized that I really wanted more service projects at the school. It’s something that’s really important to me. Service is important as a Christian and also just to be a part of your community so I think giving people opportunities to serve is a really good idea.”

While at the bank, participants will aid in sorting and packaging food for the needy. This is of upmost importance considering one out of three children in the San Joaquin Valley struggle daily to find adequate nutrition.

Leadership advisor, Robert Foshee says that the Community Food Bank provides a unique and simple way to serve the people of Fresno and invite others to do so as well.

“The Community Food Bank does so much in the valley for people who don’t really have a lot of stuff and they need a lot of help to keep things running,” Foshee said. “I know Juliana has a heart for the Food Bank and so she brought it up. You can go with friends, with family. It doesn?t have to be with someone from FC. It can be anyone that you know so I think it’s just a great opportunity to give back on a day where maybe you might sleep in otherwise.”

Jenny King, ’17, plans on attending the event in order to both obtain hours for CSF and future college transcripts as well as aid the less fortunate. She encourages others to bring friends and family members.

“Well first of all I enjoy doing service projects and helping out with the community,” King said. “It’s also good because I can put it on my college transcript. I?m also doing it because it counts for CSF service hours. Also I think it will be fun to go and hang out with my friends who are going. So if you have friends that may be interested in going make sure to invite them because it will be more fun that way.”

“The Community Food Bank does so much in the valley for people who don’t really have a lot of stuff and they need a lot of help to keep things running. I know Juliana has a heart for the Food Bank and so she brought it up. You can go with friends, with family. It doesn’t have to be with someone from FC. It can be anyone that you know so I think it’s just a great opportunity to give back on a day where maybe you might sleep in otherwise.”–Robert Foshee

To become involved in the 10,000 Hour Volunteer-A-Thon, students and adults must sign the school registration sheet as well as acquire and fill out a release form by the day of the event. Individuals who do not adequately complete this procedure will not be allowed to participate in the 10,000 Hour Volunteer?A-Thon.

Fresno’s Community Food Bank is located at 3403 E. Central Ave., in southwest Fresno. For more information, contact Juliana Rosik in person or via twitter @julesrosik.

For more news, read the Feb. 13 article, Student Leadership: Serve Day approaches

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronlilne. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.