BRIEF: Winter Sports Banquet welcomes athletes, Feb. 23

Banquet
[/media-credit] FC will have it’s annual winter sports banquet, Feb. 23.

FC will have it’s annual winter sports banquet Monday, Feb. 23. Athletes who participate in basketball, cheer, and soccer will be celebrated and honored during the event.

These sport banquet are a time to recognize the hard work and achievements of the athletes throughout their season. Each team brings a variety of desserts and drinks and the coaches present awards to a select amount of players.

Coach for the varsity boys soccer team, Matthew Markarian, feels the banquet is a good way to honor the athletes.

“The banquet is great way to celebrate the effort and accomplishments of our student athletes,” Markarian said. “I feel it is also important for parents to attend the event. Parents also sacrifice for the student athlete, and for some it is a culmination of that sacrifice and effort. Parents enjoy seeing their student athlete excel and this is a night where it is all about the student athlete.”

Jonathan Penberthy, head coach of the boys varsity basketball team, sees the night as beneficial for the coaches and the players.

“This night is a great opportunity for the coaches to show their appreciation for the dedication of the players and parents,” Penberthy said. “I think it also encourages the players and shows them that we do see their efforts and hard work. I like that I have the opportunity to publicly tell my players how proud I am of them.”

This night is a great opportunity for the coaches to show their appreciation for the dedication of the players and parents. –Jonathan Penberthy, Co-athletic Director

Head coach of the varsity girls basketball team, Tamika Thomas, feels it is especially important that the parents attend the event.

“Parents should definitely come,” Thomas said. “They are their student-athletes biggest fans and supporters. It’s important to make your parents proud and it’s important for them to know that they are proud of them.”

The banquet begins at 7 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 23. Parents are encouraged to come and support their children as well as the teams.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_olivialoren_.

For more news, read the Feb. 20 article, Student Leadership: Serves the Community Food Bank.