Boys soccer sport short: Caruthers

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2014-15
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2014-2015, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2014-15 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 1-8-1 in the West Sequoia League and overall 2-15-1 as of Feb. 19.

Fight to the Finish, Feb. 13

taylor-kicking-baller
[/media-credit] Senior Taylor Howard kicks the ball to get it out of FC territory.
The final game of league had finally arrived and it took place at the Caruthers Blue Raiders. The girls played earlier and lost 5-1, eager to make up for the girls, the boys jogged onto the field ready to take the win. After the Senior Night proceedings had finished, the game began with a senior squad on the field for Caruthers and the first string for FC.

In the first five minutes FC took control, startling the Blue Raider into subbing out the seniors and playing their first string. After this dramatic change things took more of an even path, possession changed constantly between these two evenly matched teams. Yet the rivalry between FC and Caruthers was tremendous, leading to numerous fouls on both sides of the pitch. Both teams attained several chances on goal, but all were just feet from achieving their purpose.

Within the last ten minutes of the first half the Blue Raiders scored. Despite this point, the game was just as capable of turning to a win for the Eagles. The half ended with both teams equally matched, yet the BlueRaiders were able to cash in one of their chances.

The teams came back onto the pitch, an interesting game was sure to come for the spectators, the Blue Raiders, previously believed that victory would be achieved with there subs, but they were finding it tough to take control of the ball with their first string.

The second half began and the Eagles started out eager for a goal, halfway through the half FC scored, tying it up bringing the game back to an even playing field. The Eagles defense remained strong till the end of regulation tie, giving a brief respite to the exhausted players.

The first ten minutes of overtime began, here, we would find out which teams were the fittest and able to push through their exhaustion. Five minutes in, the Blue Raiders scored, causing a little panic within the FC bench, but the Eagles often score within the second half of the two half system, with luck a point would come their way.

Second overtime came with the Blue Raiders ahead 2-1, and the Eagles given ten minutes to grab a tie or win. However their hopes were to be crushed, despite numerous attempts the Eagles remained scoreless, giving the win to Caruthers, and their playoff situation in a precarious place.

Junior Andrew Moore believed the team played well ad was happy with the end, despite the loss.

“Despite the result of the game, I thought that we had a great effort from the whole team,” Moore said. “Obviously it would have been great to go home with a win, but I’m content with the way that our team performed. It proved that we’re able to play with any team we come against.”

The Eagles will next play the Orange Cove Titans, a playoff game.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @J0sh_Carter.