Serve day unites student body, spreads joy (VIDEO)

[/media-credit] The second school-wide Serve Day rallies the whole campus to volunteer in multiple places across the city including painting over graffiti near railroad tracks, Feb. 19.

The second annual school-wide serve day took place, Feb. 19. Students signed up for their location of choice earlier in the week during chapel and prayed to leave a positive impact on the community.

The different service sites include: the Community Food Bank, Poverello House, park clean up, Neighborhood Thrift, two graffiti clean up sites, connecting with students at Kepler Elementary School and a yard work group.

The students were assigned their chaperones and buses after a rally like chapel and were encouraged to serve with a joyful heart and spread the love of Christ.

Leadership advisor Vickey Belmont gives insight into the second annual FC serve day.

“After last years first serve day and it being pretty successful, we were already planning on continuing the service,” Belmont said. “We work some of the kinks our from last year and improved in some areas. I think that this year was a great success and I am looking forward to the many more serve days to come.”

Freshman Erin Wilson found serve day to be much more rewarding than she had originally thought.

“I was expecting it to be a lot less fun than it actually was, I thought it was going to be boring but I had a really great time helping out at the Neighborhood Thrift Store,” Wilson said. “I think we were a big help to them we hung up two giant boxes of clothes and I’m really glad the school put this day on.”

Sophomore Julian Castro helped clean up an elderly man’s yard with his friends and enjoyed shining the light of Christ to him and others.

“We mowed his lawn, picked up piles of leaves, and picked up logs and branches from his property. To be honest I had a really great time, even though im not one to enjoy yardwork I found myself workng hard and having fun,” Castro said. “I do feel like we made an impact on his life because it makes him feel better when he looks out his window and sees a freshly cleaned yard. I think it’s the least we could do for him.

Junior Maddie Luginbill was in the graffiti clean up group and found that serving with friends makes the ward work fun and worth it.

“Last year I was at the food bank and this year I was with a lot of my friends and I was more interested in painting than I was about bagging food so I was more excited to help out this year,” Luginbill said. “The chaperone told us that by this time next week all the graffiti would be back up and it made me sad that people don’t respect the community but we poured ourselves into our work and it was worth it.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.

For more features, read the Feb. 24 article, Speaker educates on body language, power of communication.