BRIEF: Leadership, journalism students sell Kids Day papers, March 3

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 2.10.41 PM
[/media-credit] Student leadership and The Feather Online staff will join thousands of community volunteers to sell special edition Kids Day papers, March 3.

Kids Day began in 1988 as a charity to support Children’s Hospital in Central California, a non-profit children’s hospital.

Kids Day this year will be held on March 3. Volunteers all over Fresno County and beyond will sell Kids Day papers, special edition copies of the Fresno Bee. The proceeds from everyone in the city go to Children’s Hospital in Central California. The hospital will then spend the money to help kids or improve their experience.

Everyday commuting routine will be broken by thousands of volunteers lining the streets and selling newspapers for the 28th annual Kids Day. The issues feature stories and profiles of young patients at the hospital.

This year Kids Day will give FC students a chance to help support the cause. Leadership students will be at FC at 4 a.m. on the Day while Feather staffers will be here at 5 a.m. We will be on the corners of Maple and Alluvial and Cedar and Alluvial. Kids Day edition papers are $1.

While Kids Day edition papers cost $1, many people give a bigger donation. All proceeds are returned to and help Childrens Hospital Central California.

Kids Day offers everyone in the community the opportunity to sell papers. Schools all over town, members of the police force and many others gather along the streets to sell papers.

Who wouldn’t want to wake up at 3 a.m. and go out and serve in your community and make a positive difference in kids lives. It’s tiring but it is what you make out of it, getting through the rest of the day is always tough but in the end it is always worth it. — Senior Aaron DeWolf

Aaron Dewolf, ’15, has participated in Kids Day since his freshman year and looks forward to his last year serving with FC.

“Who wouldn’t want to wake up at 3 a.m. and go out and serve in your community and make a positive difference in kids lives,” DeWolf said. “It’s tiring but it is what you make out of it, getting through the rest of the day is always tough but in the end it is always worth it.”

Robert Foshee is in charge of all Kids Day operations here at FC and gives insight into the upcoming.

“It is a great opportunity to serve in the community because Children’s Hospital helps so many kids. My own daughter had heart surgery there and they were wonderful,” Foshee said. “Our goal is to sell 1,000 newspapers and beat last years total of $1,700. I enjoy Kids Day because it is a great opportunity for students to wake up early and sell papers together.”

If you don’t see one of the volunteers, there are other ways to help. Text GEORGE to 90999 to make a $5 donation to Valley Children’s Website.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @dawsontriplitt.

For more news, read the Feb. 26 article, BRIEF: Teachers prepare to serve at McDonalds, Feb. 26.